Spirited Saina goes down to Wang Yihan in World Superseries Finals (Lead)December 18th, 2011 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 18 (IANS) India’s ace shuttler Saina Nehwal faltered after a good start to go down against reigning World Champion Wang Yihan of China 21-18, 13-21, 13-21 in the women’s singles summit clash of the BWF World Superseries Finals in Lizhou, China, Sunday.
World No.4 Saina, however, would be pleased with her performance in the season-ending tournament where she became the first Indian singles player to make it to the final, eventually losing to a player who ended the year with seven titles and the No.1 spot in the rankings.
Saina, who had a 0-3 record against Wang prior to the match, showed promise for her first win over the Chinese after playing a gutsy first game.
Wang bounced back strongly in the second, taking a 18-11 lead in the second courtesy a combination of powerful forehand smashes and perfectly placed drop shots to which Saina had no answer.
The Shanghai-born 23-year-old was in complete control of the decider from point one with unforced errors from Saina’ racket helping her take a 18-10 lead. The Indian was finding it tough to win points on long rallies and whenever she tried to go for broke, it yielded her mixed results.
Saina was in the hunt till she took three straight points to be 6-9 down but her patches of brilliance fell short against the consistency of Yihan, who expectedly wrapped up the match with a blistering forehand smash.
The Hyderabadi had also lost to Wang in the Indonesia Open Superseries final in June and in the quarterfinals of the China Masters in September.
She reached the final in Lizhou after beating Denmark’s Tine Baun in the last four and also topped the group stage where she defeated former World Number One Wang Xin.
- Super Series Finals: Saina to face Yihan Wang in title clash - Dec 17, 2011
- Saina fights her way into Malaysian Open semis - Jan 13, 2012
- Super Series Finals: Saina beats Xin Wang, tops Group B - Dec 16, 2011
- Olympics badminton: Saina first Indian to reach semis (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Well done Saina: Big B - Dec 19, 2011
- Saina Nehwal in semifinal of Indonesia Open - Jun 24, 2011
- Olympic badminton: World No.1 Wang Yihan too good for Saina (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina creates history; Kasyhap's dream run ends (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Saina goes down fighting in Indonesia final (Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- Olympics: Saina first Indian shuttler in semis, Paes-Sania advance (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Saina, Vijender within sniffing distance of a medal (Overall Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Saina moves to elimination round of Super Series Finals - Dec 15, 2011
- Saina goes down to Yihan Wang in Malaysia Open semis - Jan 14, 2012
- Getting the hang of Chinese at the right time: Saina Nehwal (Interview) - Mar 25, 2012
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: baun, brilliance, complete control, decider, drop shots, first game, group stage, hyderabadi, indian singles, quarterfinals, saina nehwal, singles player, smashes, straight points, summit clash, sunday world, superseries, unforced errors, world champion, xin