“Spiderkids” clamber down drainpipes from 34-floor buildingJune 23rd, 2008 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, June 23 (DPA) A brother and his sister nicknamed “spiderkids” after climbing down drainpipes from their 34th floor high-rise home in Hong Kong were Monday put into a care home by a court. The girl aged eight and her six-year-old brother clambered down drainpipes from a bathroom window in their apartment Saturday morning when their mother was asleep.
Unable to get out of the flat because the doors were locked and wanting to go outside to play, they were seen scaling the outside of the building by horrified neighbours.
The girl was eventually pulled to safety by residents inside a 28th floor flat while the boy managed to get three floors lower down before being persuaded to go inside an apartment.
The children’s mother was arrested on suspicion of child neglect and both children were taken to hospital where they were treated for minor scratches.
At a special hearing in Hong Kong’s Tuen Mun court Monday, a magistrate placed the siblings in care after being told there was a risk they might try to climb out of the flat again if allowed home.
The hearing against the mother was adjourned until next month pending the preparation of a report by a social welfare officer into the children’s family circumstances.
The incident happened in Tin Shui Wai district, an area labelled the “City of Misery” by Hong Kong’s director of social welfare Carrie Lam after a series of family tragedies.
The tragedies included two high-profile cases in which fathers killed their wives and children before committing suicide, prompting calls for more social services resources for the relatively poor area.
- Nine fall ill after eating shellfish in Hong Kong - May 19, 2010
- 'Spider-woman' who held knife to ex's throat, demanding a reunion, jailed - Aug 17, 2010
- Daughter decapitates mother, jumps to death - Aug 09, 2010
- UK boy survives 13ft plunge out of window after imitating his cartoon hero - Mar 30, 2011
- Hong Kong toddler dies after climbing out of 7th-floor window - Sep 24, 2009
- India storm into semis of World Junior squash - Jul 17, 2012
- An international businessman in Manhattan sentenced for stealing $300,000 through mortgage - Mar 03, 2010
- Hong Kong peeping Tom who fell 10 floors spared jail - Nov 26, 2008
- Non-resident Indian woman jumps to death from 14th floor - Dec 18, 2011
- Chinese woman suffocates to death after TV blast - Apr 26, 2011
- Bogus feng shui master jailed for duping Hong Kong model into sex - Jan 21, 2010
- Woman jumps from Gurgaon high rise, dies - May 07, 2012
- Court: Nina Wang's lover's will is a forgery - Feb 03, 2010
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
- Efron dodges fans by climbing down drainpipe - Oct 18, 2010