Speeding truck mows down 15 in Uttar PradeshJuly 22nd, 2012 - 12:16 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 22 (IANS) Fifteen people were mowed down by a speeding truck in Uttar Pradesh’s Etawah district, police said Sunday.
The accident took place near Barlokpur village on the Farrukhabad-Etawah road late Saturday when the chassis of the speeding truck broke down and the driver lost control.
The truck first rammed into a Bolero jeep, killing two on the spot, and then entered a crowded village lane, killing 13 others.
The bodies of the victims were dragged for over 300 metres by the truck before it stopped, a police official told IANS.
A team led by Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Rajesh Modak, which reached the accident site later in the night, faced protest from villagers as they began pelting stones at police.
Subsequently, Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) troops were rushed in to control the mob.
The situation remained under control early Sunday, police said.
Etawah is around 240 km from here.
- Three policemen run over by truck in Ghaziabad - Sep 21, 2012
- Dalit killed in clashes between protesters, police - Dec 30, 2011
- Six killed in UP road accident - Aug 27, 2012
- 17 devotees killed in Punjab accident - May 07, 2012
- Seven killed in collision - Mar 28, 2011
- Locals clash with police over youth's death - Nov 15, 2011
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011
- 10 policemen injured in Uttar Pradesh mob attack - Sep 14, 2010
- 46 die in road accidents across 3 states (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- 18 devotees killed in Punjab accident (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Six of family killed in UP - May 28, 2012
- Truck ploughs into school, one killed, 25 injured - Apr 27, 2010
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Third lead) - May 28, 2012
- Conspiracy in UP firing that killed three? - Apr 02, 2012