Speeding Mercedes kills constable, injures another in Delhi (Lead)April 10th, 2012 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 10 (IANS) A police constable was killed and another injured here early Tuesday when a Mercedes car driven at high speed hit the motorcycle they were riding during a night patrol, police said.
Gurdeep Singh, a resident of Greater Kailash-I who was driving the car, hit the constables from the left side around 12.45 a.m. Tuesday near B-1 block of Paschim Vihar in west Delhi.
“Both the constables, Deepak Kumar Singh, 39, and Amit Kumar, 23, - who are posted a the Paschim Vihar police station - were on night patrol on a motorcycle. Singh succumbed to his injuries on the spot, while Kumar was discharged after first add,” a senior Delhi police officer told IANS.
“Singh, a resident of Kanke in northern Jharkhand, joined the police force in 1994. He is survived by his two children and wife. He was staying with his family at Shalimar Bagh police colony in north Delhi,” said the official.
Kumar, a resident of Baghpat in western Uttar Pradesh, resides in the Paschim Vihar police station barracks.
Singh was driving the motorcycle when the speeding white-coloured Mercedes, bearing registration number DL 3C CP 9000, hit them.
After the accident, the errant driver Gurdeep, who owns a chain of restaurants and bars in Delhi and Gurgaon, fled from the spot and reached MGF Metropolitan mall in Saket, where he parked his car in a bid to conceal its identity, police said.
Gurdeep was returning from Ekta Apartments situated in Paschim Vihar after dropping his girlfriend and heading towards his home when the incident occurred, police said.
A passerby informed the police about the accident. “The passerby told police about the involvement of a Mercedes in the incident,” said the officer.
Beat policemen were asked to inquire about the movement of any Mercedes in nearby malls and apartments.
“After a long search, it became known that a Mercedes had come to Ekta apartment to leave a girl, identified as Divya. The girl was coaxed into calling Gurdeep back to the same apartment from where he was arrested later,” said the official.
- Speeding Mercedes kills a constable, injures another - Apr 10, 2012
- MBA student killed while speeding on Delhi road (Second Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- MBA student killed while speeding on Delhi road (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Three hurt as speeding car hits bike in Delhi - Apr 15, 2012
- Less road accidents at night in Delhi: Police - Apr 18, 2012
- Delhi Police constable killed in road accident (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Three persons killed in Delhi road accidents - May 19, 2012
- Car hits police van, three hurt - Jan 01, 2012
- Cop crushed to death in Delhi - Feb 28, 2011
- Youth held for shooting cop's son - Sep 16, 2011
- February: A month of grave accidents in Delhi (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- February: A month of grave accidents in Delhi - Feb 28, 2012
- Two killed in road accidents - Nov 20, 2011
- Two cops suspended for Noida abduction - Aug 05, 2010
- Two killed in Delhi road accident - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: amit kumar, constables, delhi police, early tuesday, gurdeep singh, gurgaon, jharkhand, kanke, mercedes car, north delhi, passerby, police constable, police force, police station, policemen, registration number, saket, shalimar bagh, west delhi, western uttar pradesh