Special trains for Rath Yatra in OrissaJuly 10th, 2010 - 11:38 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 10 (IANS) At least 63 special trains will be run for pilgrims during the Rath Yatra, the annual nine-day chariot festival of Lord Jagannath, in Orissa’s temple city of Puri, an official said Saturday.
“The special trains will run from different parts of Orissa, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. These exclude the existing trains coming to Puri,” East Coast Railway Divisional Railway Manager Sanjeev Garg said.
Special trains will also run to and from Puri to clear the extra rush of pilgrims on the occasions of Sandhya Darshan (evening prayer), Bahuda Yatra (return journey) and Sunabesa (golden attire) of the deities, he said.
Besides, 14 trains have been diverted and extended to Puri.
Rath Yatra is spread over the summer and monsoon months in the temple city.
The chariot festival is held during the month of Ashadha (June-July) of the Indian calendar. This year the festival will be held from July 13-21.
The festival marks the annual journey of three deities from the 12th century Jagannath temple, 56 km from here, in three splendidly decorated wooden chariots.
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011
- Sea of pilgrims at Puri for annual chariot festival - Jul 03, 2011
- 62 special trains for Puri Rath Yatra - Jun 20, 2012
- Security up in Puri ahead of Rath Yatra - Jul 12, 2010
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- Puri Ratha Yatra preparations gain momentum in Odisha - Jun 11, 2012
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Security in place for Puri's Jagannath return festival - Jul 20, 2010
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath return festival - Jul 21, 2010
- Puri sees bath festival - Jun 26, 2010
- Noted sand sculptor creates replica of Jagannath chariot festival in Puri - Jul 13, 2010
- Security beefed up ahead of Puri chariot festival - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: 12th century, andhra pradesh, bhubaneswar, chariot, chariots, deities, east coast railway, evening prayer, indian calendar, lord jagannath, monsoon, orissa, pilgrims, puri, railway manager, rath yatra, return journey, temple city, trains, west bengal