Special children to do samba at Goa carnivalFebruary 19th, 2009 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Feb 19 (IANS) Nearly 25 children with special abilities will dance to samba beats at the famed Goa carnival float parade, to be held Saturday afternoon.
Chairman of the Panaji Carnival Committee (PCC) and city mayor Tony Rodrigues said that renowned dance instructors Jason and Sylvia have been specially asked to put together the performance.
“They will be performing on the PCC float. We thought that special children should also be involved in the carnival this year. The festival’s joy should be passed on to one and all,” Rodrigues told reporters.
Speaking to IANS, Jason and Sylvia said the children have been taught to dance the samba and other moves which synch with the carnival rhythm.
The duo, who have been a dancing sensation in the state for nearly a decade now, said teaching children with special abilities required more patience than normal kids, but it was more satisfying in the end.
“It is a bit taxing initially. But at the end of the day, when they perform the moves you taught them, you realise how really good that feels,” Sylvia said.
Sylvia said a lot depended on the inclination of these children possessed to learn dancing. “You cannot force it upon them (children with special abilities). If they really like dancing, then they never give up learning,” she said.
The Goa carnival parade is expected to have about 80 floats, in the traditional and the commercial category.
The parade, led by King Momo or the King of the Carnival, is known to attract thousands of tourists, from other states and abroad.
- 11 hurt in accident during Goa's carnival parade - Mar 09, 2011
- 11 injured in accident during Goa's carnival parade (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- Carnival celebrations kick off in Goa - Mar 05, 2011
- Goa carnival begins March 5 (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- Goa's carnival festivities in limbo due to polls - Feb 09, 2012
- Goa's four-day carnival begins March 5 - Feb 11, 2011
- Carnival celebrations allowed in Goa, with poll rider - Feb 16, 2012
- Three day Goa carnival begins - Mar 06, 2011
- Goa carnival to begin without Brazilian Samba float - Jan 20, 2010
- Carnival kicks off in Goa - Feb 21, 2009
- King Momo leads Goa carnival to colourful start - Feb 13, 2010
- After Carnival, Goa goes into Shigmo festivities - Mar 21, 2011
- Goa Carnival organisers put terror concerns aside - Feb 13, 2009
- Goa readies for cool dip, Sao Joao feast on Sunday - Jun 23, 2012
- Seven drowned in Goa as schoolbus falls into river (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012