Spanish coach to stay on till 2014 Football World CupSeptember 8th, 2011 - 3:48 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 8 (IANS) Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has confirmed that he would continue in his position until the 2014 Football World Cup finals in Brazil.
Del Bosque was speaking Wednesday after a comfortable 6-0 win against Liechtenstein, which enabled Spain to qualify for the 2012 European Championships and to defend the title they won four years ago.
That title was won under the guidance of Luis Aragones, who Del Bosque replaced immediately afterwards.
The former Real Madrid coach, then led Spain to their first ever World Cup triumph in 2010 and he will now try to do the same again in the next edition.
“I had a meeting with Spanish Football Federation President, Angel Maria Villar and there is nothing that separates up. Everything has been resolved. I have a contract until the end of the European Championships and there is plenty of time to sign the agreement,” Del Bosque was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
“I agree with everything that the Federation has proposed and I don’t have any aces up my sleeve. I am transparent in that question,” said Del Bosque, who denied that the reason he had not put pen to paper already, was because he was awaiting a possible offer from major clubs in Europe.
The coach also commented on the game, which Spain won with two goals from Alvaro Negredo, two from David Villa and one each from Xavi Hernandez and Sergio Ramos.
“We are happy to have resolved the qualification with six wins in six games and we are pleased to have won and resolved a qualification group, that can always become complicated,” said Del Bosque, who didn’t like his side being named as favourites for next summer’s finals.
“We have to defend the title, but we will have tough rivals in Italy, France, England and Portugal.”
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
- Alba lone new face in Spain's squad for Euro 2012 qualifiers - Sep 30, 2011
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Last chance for fringe players as Spain face Serbia - May 25, 2012
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- The road to Brazil begins in Georgia: Del Bosque - Sep 10, 2012
- Fatigue and injury problems for Spain - Jun 02, 2012
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- Coach Del Bosque recalls Torres and Mata in Spanish squad - May 22, 2012
- Strange that World Cup winners need to qualify: Casillas - Sep 11, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain coach Del Bosque rejects past glories - Jul 01, 2012
- Euro 2012 Group C Preview: Ireland may decide who survive - Jun 05, 2012
- Spain to face Saudi Arabia in World Cup warm-up - Sep 06, 2012
- Spain prepare for Euro defence with China game - Jun 02, 2012
- After Europe, Spain now set to conquer the World (Group H team profile) - Jun 02, 2010
Tags: 2014 football world cup, angel maria villar, federation president, football federation, football world cup, france england, italy france, luis aragones, major clubs, pen to paper, qualification group, real madrid, sergio ramos, six games, spanish coach, spanish football, vicente del bosque, world cup finals, world cup triumph, xavi hernandez