Spanish cartoonist diesApril 4th, 2012 - 12:54 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, April 4 (IANS/EFE) Spanish artist, cartoonist and writer Antonio Mingote died Tuesday in Madrid, his widow, Maria Isabel Vigliola, told EFE. He was 93.
Mingote, whose broad professional career was closely linked with the daily ABC, had been receiving treatment for several days at the Gregorio Maranon Hospital, where he ultimately died surrounded by his family.
King Juan Carlos elevated Mingote to the nobility last December, conferring on him the title Marquess of Daroca.
Mingote was only 13 when published his first drawing in Gente menuda, the children’s supplement for Blanco y Negro, and in 1946 he began collaborating on La Codorniz, becoming one of its most famous artists.
Seven years later, he published his first cartoon in ABC, where his caricatures satirized Spanish daily life.
Mingote designed sets and costumes for the musical comedy “Ven y ven Eslava”, was the artistic director for the 2002 animated film “Puerta del tiempo” and was in charge of the scenery and the costumes for the 2004 work “La Venganza de don Mendo”.
On Jan 22, 1987, he was selected as a member of the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language, making him the first graphic humorist to enter the institution.
- HIV vaccine being tested in Spain - Sep 29, 2011
- Don Omar tops Latin songs chart with `Taboo' - Aug 05, 2011
- Ruben Blades brings salsa show to Spanish capital - Jul 14, 2011
- Puerto Rican rapper releases new album - Nov 02, 2011
- Spaniards defy ban on pre-election protests - May 19, 2011
- Actor Alberto de Mendoza is dead - Dec 13, 2011
- Romeo Santos remains atop Billboard Latin Songs - Jul 01, 2011
- Don Omar keeps top spot on latin songs chart - Jul 15, 2011
- Luis Fonsi's latest shoots to top of Latin Albums chart - Jul 08, 2011
- Santos' first solo album tops Billboard Latin chart - Dec 09, 2011
- Views of Madrid in Pitbull, Shakira music video - Aug 03, 2012
- Ricky Martin to be teacher in TV series - Feb 07, 2012
- Julio Iglesias wraps up Spain tour - Aug 14, 2012
- Bolivia nationalises Spanish-owned firm - May 02, 2012
- New album mixes flamenco and Mexican songs - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: animated film, artistic director, caricatures, cartoonist, codorniz, daroca, famous artists, gente menuda, gregorio maranon hospital, humorist, king juan carlos, la venganza de don mendo, maria isabel, marquess, musical comedy, professional career, royal academy, spanish artist, ven y ven, venganza de don mendo