Spain take 2-0 lead in Davis Cup quarterfinalApril 7th, 2012 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, April 7 (IANS) Spain cruised to a comfortable 2-0 win in their Davis Cup tennis quarterfinal tie against Austria.
The Spanish team again showed how proficient they are on clay as Nicolas Almagro and David Ferrer breezed through their singles matches against Juergen Melzer and Andres Haider-Mauer Friday.
Almagro got the tie, which was played in Oropesa del Mar, off to a perfect start with a comfortable 6-2, 6-2, 6-4 triumph against Melzer.
Ferrer rounded off an easy day for the Spanish with another straight sets (6-1, 6-3, 6-1) win against Haider-Mauer, Xinhua reported.
Doubles pairing Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez can seal Spain’s pass into the semi-finals Saturday.
- Austria win Davis Cup doubles against Spain, trail 1-2 - Apr 08, 2012
- Spain humble ahead of Davis Cup tie - Apr 04, 2012
- Holders Spain enter Davis Cup quarters - Feb 12, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna lose in Rome Masters' semis - May 20, 2012
- Davis Cup final: Argentina win doubles to keep chances alive - Dec 04, 2011
- Paes-Stepanek steamroll into US Open semis - Sep 06, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- Djokovic wins Rogers Cup, eyes US Open - Aug 13, 2012
- Bhupathi-Bopanna knock out top seeds to make semis - May 19, 2012
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid Open - May 12, 2012
- French Open: Ferrer sends out a warning to the favourites (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: david ferrer, davis cup, davis cup tennis, haider, juergen, madrid, marc lopez, marcel granollers, mauer, melzer, nicolas almagro, oropesa del mar, quarterfinal, s pass, semi finals, spain, spanish team, straight sets, triumph, xinhua