SP sends maximum women candidates to UP assemblyMarch 7th, 2012 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 7 (IANS) Mulayam Singh Yadav is known to strongly oppose the women’s reservation bill, but his Samajwadi Party (SP) has sent the highest number of women candidates to the Uttar Pradesh assembly in these polls, officials say.
Twenty-two women candidates from the SP have won this time, say poll officials. A total of 582 woman were in the fray in these assembly polls, and a total 37 women have been elected compared.
BJP comes a distant second with seven women candidate wins, the Congress and Bahujan Samaj Party with three each are in the third slot.
A woman candidate has also made it from the Apna Dal while Rubi Prasad, the legislator from Duddhi, has opened the account for independent women candidates.
The most prominent faces in the woman’s brigade are that of Uma Bharti of the BJP and Rita Bahuguna Joshi of the Congress.
Bharti won from Charkhari constituency by a margin of over 25,000 votes. Joshi, the state Congress chief, won from Lucknow Cantt by 22,000 votes.
Anupriya Patel of Apna Dal has defeated BSP’s Ramakant Singh in Rohaniya assembly segment of Varanasi.
In the 2007 polls, in all 23 women candidates had made it to the assembly, but only four of them were from the SP. The higher numbers this time come right ahead of International Women’s Day March 8.
Mulayam Singh’s popularity among woman voters also seems to be high, with a large number of them believed to have voted for him. His SP has bagged 224 seats in Uttar Pradesh.
- Brisk polling in fifth phase of UP poll (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- 39 percent turnout in fifth phase of UP poll (Second lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Brisk polling in Uttar Pradesh (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Third phase of UP polls - Facts at a glance - Feb 13, 2012
- UP polls: 59 percent vote in 5th phase (Intro Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Uma Bharti to cast her vote in Lucknow - Feb 19, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh: Prominent winners and losers - Mar 06, 2012
- UP voters dethrone Mayawati, choose Mulayam over BJP, Congress (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
- 59.4 percent turnout in 5th phase of UP polls (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Mulayam's prestige at stake in fifth phase of UP poll - Feb 22, 2012
- Nominations for fourth phase begin in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2012
- Penultimate round of UP polls on Tuesday - Feb 27, 2012
- Brisk ballotting in UP polls (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Congress's Muslim card, Ajit Singh's Jat clout on test in Tuesday's poll (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Polling begins for UP elections' last phase - Mar 03, 2012
Tags: assembly polls, bahujan samaj party, bharti, congress chief, independent women, international women, joshi, legislator, mulayam singh yadav, ramakant, reservation bill, rubi, samaj, Samajwadi Party, seven women, state congress, uttar pradesh, varanasi, woman candidate, woman voters