Southern Air Command’s area of responsibility increasesFebruary 20th, 2009 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 20 (IANS) The Indian Air Force (IAF) has decided to shift its Maritime Air Operations (MAO) headquarters to the Southern Air Command (SAC) based here to enable quicker response to emergencies in the Indian Ocean region, it was announced here Friday.
“The new arrangements will come into effect from April 1 and are an indication of the growing importance of this command,” SAC Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief S. Radhakrishnan told reporters here.
The SAC is currently conducting the Dakshin Prahar exercise here to validate the IAF’s concept of flexi-use of air space. The exercise, which began Wednesday, will conclude Feb 25.
“During the exercise, IAF and Airports Authority of India (AAI) officials are constantly in touch and information is being shared regarding flight plans so that civil air traffic is not affected. During this period, a certain target is fixed in a carefully crafted corridor in coordination with AAI,” Radhakrishnan explained.
“Modern tactics of combat air power are also being practiced,” he added.
State of the art fighter aircraft such as Sukhoi 30 MKI, Mirage 2000 and upgraded versions of maritime Jaguar are taking part in the exercise.
All the combat aircraft are capable of air-to-air refueling by the IL-78s which are strategically positioned to increase the reach of fighters to go around the peninsula without refueling.
Vital transport support and communication duties during the exercise would be performed by AN-32 and Avro aircraft and Mi-8 helicopters.
- Indian Air Force to conduct air exercise in peninsula - Feb 17, 2009
- Ex Dakshin Prahar to showcase IAFs flexi use of air space - Feb 16, 2009
- Indian Air Force holds war games in northeast - Mar 01, 2012
- IAF to stage exercise in Gujarat, Rajasthan - Nov 09, 2011
- Garuda a 'milestone' in India-French defence cooperation - Jun 23, 2010
- Up above the world so high, IAF in the sky (Oct 8 is the IAF's 78th anniversary) - Oct 07, 2010
- 'British Typhoons whacked India's Sukhois in joint exercises' - Jul 24, 2011
- India to induct Akash missiles, holds war game in northeast (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- It's SU-30s vs Typhoons at India-Britain aerial war games - Oct 11, 2010
- Fighter procurement for dummies: Ashley Tellis does it again! (Part-1) - Feb 13, 2011
- Sukhoi fighters to participate for first time in Indo-France air forces exercise - Jun 07, 2010
- Antony witnesses Indian Navy's battle readiness exercise - Feb 08, 2012
- Crash-hit Sukhois get Indian Air Force chief's thumbs up - Dec 21, 2011
- At 78, half of IAF's equipment obsolete: Air chief (Lead) - Oct 04, 2010
- IAF upgrading airfields in northeast: Naik - Nov 03, 2010