Southee drafted into New Zealand Test squadJuly 14th, 2012 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
Basseterre (St Kitts), July 14 (IANS/CMC) Fast bowler Tim Southee has been drafted into the New Zealand squad for the two-Test series against the West Indies starting later this month.
The right arm pacer had been originally named in the Twenty20 and One-day International squads but has now been named to replace Mark Gillespie, who has been ruled out with injury.
“Tim has impressed with the way he bowled in the one-day series so far and we have seen an improvement from where he was at the end of the home summer,” said Kim Littlejohn, New Zealand’s national selection manager.
“He’s a like-for-like replacement for Mark in terms of the type of bowler he is and his ability to unsettle the opposition batsmen with pace and bounce.”
The 23-year-old Southee has played 17 Tests and 58 ODIs, in a career spanning four years.
New Zealand face the West Indies in the first Test in Antigua from July 25-29 and the second Test in Jamaica from August 2-6.
- Roach leads Windies demolition of Black Caps - Aug 03, 2012
- NZC focus on workload as teams picked for Windies series - May 04, 2012
- West Indies eyeing first clean sweep in ten years (Preview) - Aug 02, 2012
- Best, Russell called up for Jamaica ODIs - Jul 02, 2012
- West Indies retain squad for third ODI - Jul 09, 2012
- Gibson says West Indies should cherish series win - Jul 18, 2012
- Edwards replaces Rampaul for Jamaica Test - Jul 31, 2012
- Windies and Black Caps pay homage to Runako Morton - Jul 13, 2012
- Win has shifted momentum, says New Zealand skipper - Jul 13, 2012
- Black Caps say Gayle's wicket is key to winning series - Jul 09, 2012
- Narine undermines New Zealand as Windies win series 4-1 - Jul 17, 2012
- Windies overcome Taylor century, win series - Jul 15, 2012
- Best thrilled at role in series victory - Jul 16, 2012
- New Zealand nose ahead despite Samuels' century - Aug 04, 2012
- Series remains alive after West Indies crash - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: face the west, first test, international squads, jamaica, july 14, littlejohn, mark gillespie, national selection, new zealand, odis, opposition, pace, pacer, right arm, second test, st kitts, test series, test squad, twenty20, west indies