South Ossetia, Abkhazia to seek recognitionAugust 15th, 2008 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 15 (RIA Novosti) Georgia’s breakaway republics South Ossetia and Abkhazia will seek recognition as sovereign states under international law, their leaders have said. South Ossetia leader Eduard Kokoity in a joint press conference here Thursday with Abkhazia’s Sergei Bagapsh said that following Georgia’s attack Aug 8 on South Ossetian capital Tskhinvali, the two separatist provinces would seek international recognition.
“Despite the severe blow to our nation, South Ossetians’ will for independence remains unchanged,” he said. “We will seek independence in strict compliance with international law.”
Bagapsh echoed Kokoity’s words: “As to our independence, as to our progress toward this goal, no force will make us stop. The goal has been set, and we will advance toward this goal together.”
Bagapsh said both Abkhazia and South Ossetia ruled out the possibility of talks with Georgia on their status.
Fighting erupted last week in the volatile South Caucasus region when Georgian forces launched an attack on Tskhinvali.
In response Russia launched a counter offensive to expel Georgian troops from the region.
The Abkhazian and South Ossetian foreign ministers are expected to be in Moscow Friday to discuss the future status of the two separatist regions.
- South Ossetia to take Georgia's currency out of circulation - Dec 21, 2010
- South Ossetia to discuss Georgia's peace proposal in Geneva - Dec 09, 2010
- Georgia reluctant to restore relations with Russia (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Georgia sends peace proposals for Abkhazia and South Ossetia - Dec 08, 2010
- US Senate asks Russia to pull out from Abkhazia, South Ossetia - Jul 31, 2011
- Russia warns US on Georgia support - Jun 07, 2012
- Russian construction firm head becomes South Ossetia's prime minister - Aug 05, 2009
- 'Georgia recruiting refugees as sabotage activists' - Aug 28, 2010
- Medvedev praises Sarkozy's role in South Ossetia ceasefire - Aug 08, 2009
- Bomber held in Georgia - May 05, 2012
- Russia deploys air defence system in Abkhazia - Aug 11, 2010
- Russia inks military pacts with Georgia's breakaway regions - Sep 15, 2009
- Russia admitted to World Trade Organisation - Dec 17, 2011
- South Ossetian president sacks PM, dissolves cabinet - Aug 04, 2009
- Russian parliament recognises South Ossetia, Abkhazia (Second lead) - Aug 25, 2008