South Korea to recall envoy to Japan over islands disputeJuly 14th, 2008 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, July 14 (Xinhua) South Korea Monday said it will recall its ambassador to Japan after Tokyo reaffirmed its claim to a group of islands controlled by Seoul. Ambassador Kwon Chul-hyun will temporarily return to Seoul soon, foreign ministry spokesman Moon Tae-young said at a news conference.
Moon said in a statement that Japan’s claim to the disputed islands of Dokdo, which is called Takeshima in Japan, in its new educational guidelines is “unacceptable and intolerable.”
According to South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency, Japan’s education ministry announced earlier Monday its plan to define Dokdo as part of Japanese territory in a teacher’s guidebook for Japanese middle school textbook to be used from 2012.
South Korean Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan also plans to summon Japanese envoy to South Korea Toshinori Shigeie later in the day to deliver a protest message, the spokesman said.
South Korea’s Presidential Office said the government has reinforced the defence of Dokdo and will take measures to strengthen its sovereignty over the disputed islands.
- Seoul summons Japanese ambassador in territorial row - Dec 25, 2009
- S. Korean defence minister resigns over slow response to N. Korean shelling of island - Nov 26, 2010
- South Korea on high alert after navy battle with North Korea - Nov 11, 2009
- Antony meets South Korean President Lee Myung-bak in Seoul - Sep 04, 2010
- South Korea says sea mine may have caused ship explosion - Mar 29, 2010
- Tagore's bronze bust unveiled in South Korea - May 19, 2011
- Seoul to recall envoy over Japan's claim to islets - Jul 14, 2008
- Seoul subway removes Japanese condom ads over territorial row - Jul 17, 2008
- Clinton announces new sanctions against Pyongyang - Jul 21, 2010
- N. Korea will use nuke arsenal if attacked by US, S. Korea: Envoy - Aug 28, 2010
- South Korea labels North Korea 'enemy' in latest defense White Paper - Dec 30, 2010
- India, South Korea ink two MOUs to boost defence cooperation - Sep 03, 2010
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- S Korea regrets North Korea's rejection of "grand bargain" - Oct 01, 2009
- South Korean rocket launch different from North Korea: Official - Aug 17, 2009