South China Sea is property of world: KrishnaApril 6th, 2012 - 4:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 6 (IANS) The South China Sea is the property of the world and must be free for trade to prosper, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said Friday after China warned India against exploring oil in the area.
“India maintains that South China Sea is the property of the world… those trade ways must be free from any national interference. It has to be used for increasing trade related activities among nations which come within the range of the South China Sea,” Krishna told reporters here.
He said this fact has been accepted by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and by China in their dialogue with ASEAN group of nations.
“India subscribes to the theory that these trade ways should be free for trade to prosper,” he said.
China Thursday asked New Delhi not to get involved in the “disputes”. It said the sovereignty of the islands in the region was a major issue and India should not carry out oil exploration till the resolution of the vexed issue.
Krishna denied reports of a strained relationship between India and China.
“There is absolutely no strained relation between India and China. During the BRICS summit, Chinese President Hu Jintao was in Delhi and we had very cordial talks with him and I totally reject that theory,” he added.
- Ahead of BRICS summit, Krishna to visit China - Feb 03, 2012
- Hu to attend Nuclear Security and BRICS summits, visit Cambodia - Mar 19, 2012
- Ahead of Hu's visit, India, China hold talks (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- South China Sea: India calls for respect to global laws (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Tibetans protest as India, China hold talks - Mar 01, 2012
- Krishna to open new Indian embassy complex in Beijing - Feb 06, 2012
- India for navigational freedom in South China Sea (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- BRICS to sign pacts for trade in local currencies - Mar 26, 2012
- Avoid political disruptions, India urges BRICS (Lead) - Mar 29, 2012
- India, China to hold maritime dialogue, border meeting next week (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- BRICS Summit - Facts at a glance - Mar 28, 2012
- With China looking on, India to host Vietnamese, Myanmarese leaders - Oct 10, 2011
- BRICS to set up joint bank, backs dialogue on Iran, Syria (Roundup) - Mar 29, 2012
- Had fruitful visits to China, Kazakhstan: PM - Apr 17, 2011
- BRICS to ink currency pacts, to push joint bank - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: asean, association of southeast asian nations, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, dialogue, external affairs minister, hu jintao, interference, krishna, New Delhi, oil exploration, president hu jintao, relationship between india, south china sea, southeast asian nations, sovereignty, strained relationship, summit