South African woman held at Mumbai airportAugust 25th, 2012 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 24 (IANS) A South African woman was Friday arrested for carrying 18 kg of amphetamine, a banned drug, at the Mumbai international airport, a customs official said.
“We have arrested Lucky Herman for possessing 18 kg amphetamine. It is worth around Rs.18 crore in the international market,” the official told IANS.
Herman was presented in a Mumbai court and remanded in judicial custody till Sep 7.
The South African was arrested by the customs intelligence unit while she was on her way to board a flight to Ethiopia.
This is the second haul in the last three days by the customs officials. Two southeast Asian women, aged 64 and 45 years, carrying six kg of cocaine worth over Rs.3 crore in the Indian market were nabbed at the Mumbai airport Wednesday.
They had arrived from South Africa on an Ethiopian Airways flight and were headed to Singapore.
Ly Leogse, a 64-year-old professor of English and French, is from Vietnam and Adma Siregar, 45, is a businesswoman from Indonesia.
- Nigerian arrested with banned drug - Sep 07, 2012
- Drugs worth Rs.1.8 crore seized - Aug 27, 2012
- Roses for the world: An Indian success story in Ethiopia - May 29, 2011
- Pangolin scales worth Rs.2.3 crore seized - Sep 07, 2012
- As China-built AU centre opens, India focuses on quiet Africa diplomacy (With images) - Jan 30, 2012
- Tamil Nadu firm to cultivate cotton, soya in Ethiopia - Jul 26, 2011
- Man held at Jaipur airport for gold smuggling - Aug 10, 2012
- 210 drug traffickers held in Saudi Arabia - Sep 29, 2010
- Heroin worth over Rs.5 crore seized, one held - Oct 20, 2010
- Interpol seizes two tonnes of elephant ivory - Jun 20, 2012
- Ethiopia woos Indian hospitals to set up branches - Jun 18, 2010
- Ethiopia wants Indian hospitals as healthcare hub for Africa (Lead) - Jun 18, 2010
- Ahead of Africa summit, India says West pitting it against China (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- India gets a peek into Ethiopia's rich culture - Oct 28, 2011
- India sees greater trade with Ethiopia thanks to tariff pact (With Image) - Dec 02, 2010
Tags: 45 years, adma, amphetamine, asian women, businesswoman, cocaine, crore, customs officials, ethiopian airways, indonesia, intelligence unit, judicial custody, kg, ly, mumbai airport, mumbai court, siregar, south africa, south african woman, vietnam