South African singer Miriam Makeba dies in ItalyNovember 10th, 2008 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Rome/Johannesburg, Nov 10 (DPA) South African singer Miriam Makeba died Monday morning following a heart attack in an Italian clinic, an Italian media report said.According to the ANSA news agency, 76-year-old Makeba felt ill after a performance Sunday evening and was brought by ambulance to a hospital in Castel Volturno in southern Italy, where she died.
Makeba, a former anti-apartheid activist, was born March 4, 1932, and enjoyed international fame with the hit song Pata Pata.
The artiste, who was respectfully called Mamma Africa in her home country, always put herself and her music in the service of freedom, justice and understanding between peoples.
Makeba, who also worked as an actress, author and composer, received rewards from all over the world for her fight against apartheid in South Africa.
- South Africa pays tribute to singer Miriam Makeba - Nov 15, 2008
- Jacob Zuma awarded 'Africa's Best President' title - Nov 12, 2009
- Prandelli to take over from Lippi earlier than expected - Jun 26, 2010
- Nelson Mandela admitted to hospital - Jan 27, 2011
- Former President Nelson Mandela discharged from hospital - Jan 28, 2011
- 25 migrants found dead as boat reaches Italy - Aug 01, 2011
- South Africa to celebrate Mandela's 94th birthday in style - Jun 08, 2012
- 100-year-old woman killed in Italian quake (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Former South African President Mandela goes home to rest - May 23, 2011
- Indian jailed in Italy for killing son - Dec 23, 2011
- Italian singer dies while on tour - Mar 02, 2012
- New documentary about Paul Simon being made - Aug 24, 2011
- Parcel bomb explodes at Italian tax collecting agency, injuring director - Dec 10, 2011
- Nelson Mandela's ex Winnie to have her own opera - Dec 28, 2010
- Dlamini-Zuma: AU's first woman boss wears victory lightly (Profile) - Jul 16, 2012