South Africa yet to take a call on leg-spinner TahirMarch 11th, 2011 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, March 11 (IANS) South Africa have still not lifted the suspense over leg-spinner Imran Tahir’s participation in their World Cup match against India Saturday.
The Pakistan-born leg-spinner broke his left thumb in the match against England. He has been advised 10 days rest, but the call on whether to give him the recovery period after or before the India match is yet to be taken.
“It is always a selection thing. We will decide it tonight. He has bowled this week and come through that quite fine. We just want to know whether we need to risk him tomorrow or not,” said captain Graeme Smith.
Tahir, who made his debut in the tournament, has been a revelation. He has bagged 11 wickets in three matches and is the second best wicket-taker after Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi, another leg spinner, who has 15 wickets.
South Africa’s last two matches are against Ireland (March 15) and Bangladesh (March 19) while the quarterfinals start March 23.
South Africa definitely would want him fully fit when the quarterfinals start and for that he needs to be rested now. South Africa though are still a win away from making it to the knock-out stage.
- South African leggie Tahir unlikely to play against India - Mar 10, 2011
- Injury scare for South Africa as Tahir fractures thumb - Mar 09, 2011
- Smith pleased with South Africa's spin attack - Mar 24, 2011
- Tahir gets South African citizenship, may play ODIs against India - Jan 01, 2011
- Smith excited about Tahir's presence in ODI squad - Jan 11, 2011
- South African tweaker Imran Tahir fractures thumb, doubtful for World Cup - Mar 10, 2011
- New Zealand can challenge in-form South Africa (Preview, Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- Smith spins a web around West Indies - Feb 24, 2011
- India, South Africa will have plenty to prove (Preview) - Mar 11, 2011
- South Africa ahead on form, Kiwis count on Vettori (Preview) - Mar 24, 2011
- Afridi on a roll would be India's bogeyman - Mar 26, 2011
- We need to carry on the way we have to win the Cup: Smith - Mar 19, 2011
- Dhoni wins toss, decides to bat - Mar 12, 2011
- Kallis is South African Cricketer of the Year - Jun 08, 2011
- De Villers, Tahir give South Africa rocking World Cup start (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: bangladesh, debut, graeme smith, imran, ireland march, knock out, march 11, march 19, nagpur, pakistan captain, recovery period, revelation, shahid afridi, south africa, suspense, tahir, thumb, wicket taker, wickets, world cup