South Africa look to Kirsten to plot Australia’s downfallDecember 2nd, 2008 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Dec 2 (IANS) South Africa coach Micky Arthur has revealed that he spoke to India coach Gary Kirsten to get detailed intelligence on the Australian team ahead of the first Test at Perth starting Dec 17. South Africa has also roped in former English coach Duncan Fletcher in a consultancy role and is also speaking to other cricketing experts in a bid to uncover vulnerabilities in the world champions’ make-up. South Africa will play three Tests and five One-dayers in the series.
In Kirsten and Fletcher, Arthur has tapped the minds of the only two coaches who have recorded Test series victories over Australia in the past seven years.
“I have had a chat with Gary and he reinforced that our ideas were right. And Fletch, after just his first six days with us, has already convinced me that we made a very good decision in bringing him into the group. We have been looking to speak to anyone who has enjoyed success over the Australians, and Fletch has provided us with some very interesting ideas,” Arthur was quoted as saying in the Sydney Morning Herald.
Arthur began planning for this summer’s tour immediately after Ricky Ponting’s squad inflicted an embarrassing 3-0 home defeat on the South Africans in 2006. He also tried to rope in former Australian coach John Buchanan as an adviser, but later opted for Fletcher after Buchanan accepted a role with the Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Australian's wary of Fletcher's appointment as India's coach - Apr 27, 2011
- Gary Kirsten to be appointed South African coach - Jun 04, 2011
- Fletcher to take over Indian cricket team after Windies tour (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Duncan Fletcher appointed Indian cricket team coach - Apr 27, 2011
- Handling the media will be Fletcher's biggest challenge: Vaughan - Apr 27, 2011
- Buchanan likely to take over NZ cricket - Apr 10, 2011
- India good enough to bounce back: Kirsten - Oct 07, 2011
- Fletcher took being miserable to a new level: Veterans - Apr 28, 2011
- Can't be complacent against Australia, says Fletcher - Dec 12, 2011
- It will be interesting how India bat at Perth: Arthur - Jan 07, 2012
- Duncan Fletcher appointed India's cricket coach - Apr 27, 2011
- John Buchanan says Australian team vulnerable - Nov 22, 2011
- Arthur says Harris ready for Perth - Jan 07, 2012
- Ashes 2010: Fletcher says England must stick to their guns - Dec 24, 2010
- Ex-Oz coach Buchanan set to take over Kiwi cricket - Apr 12, 2011