South Africa hopes to double trade with India to $12 bnFebruary 18th, 2009 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 18 (IANS) South Africa is hoping that its participation in the forthcoming International Engineering and Technology Fair (IETF) in Bangalore, as well as recent investments in India by South African firm Sasol, will lead to doubling of bilateral trade to $12 billion by 2010.
The 18th IETF, organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry, will be held Feb 23-26, and will see 500 exhibitors from 25 countries.
“South Africa’s partnership during IETF 2009 is aimed at achieving bilateral trade target of $12 billion by 2010 from the current $6.2 billion trade,” South African High Commissioner in India Sehloho Francis Moloi said.
Nearly 74 South African firms, including Rand Merchant Bank, Ibibo, CypheRix, Bateman Engineering, Howard Manufacturing, South Africa Airways and South Africa Tourism, will participate in the event.
A conference on Investment Opportunities in South Africa will also be held.
According to South African High Commission Counsellor Jardine Omar, Sasol’s investment plans in India will also be key in achieving the bilateral trade target.
Sasol, along with Tata, has bid for a number of coal blocks in eastern India. It has developed technology for liquefying coal.
Japan as the guest country is making its participation for the third time, with prime focus on energy and environment.
- S.Africa to display technology for converting coal into gas and liquid - Feb 18, 2009
- South Africa pitches for greater Indian investment - Apr 08, 2012
- South Africa keen to have Indian investments - Aug 22, 2012
- Huge untapped potential for investment between India, South Africa: Anand Sharma - Jan 11, 2011
- India seeks clean coal technologies from South Africa - Jan 06, 2011
- India, South Africa CEOs seek removal of trade barriers - Aug 29, 2011
- Projects worth $30 billion discussed at India-Africa conclave - Mar 20, 2012
- India pitches for greater development ties with Africa - Mar 19, 2012
- South Africa to send parliamentary delegation to India - Jul 07, 2012
- India, South Africa set to exceed $10 bn trade target - Mar 08, 2011
- Manmohan kicks off week of high-wire Africa diplomacy - May 22, 2011
- Africa and BRICS: A rising engagement - Jun 26, 2011
- South Africa expects more trade cooperation with India - Mar 19, 2012
- India unveils $5 bn Africa surge, rejects race with China (Second Lead) - May 24, 2011
- India, South Africa business forum meets in Delhi Monday - Aug 28, 2011