South Africa gifts one ton oranges to ’seven-billionth’ babyNovember 4th, 2011 - 1:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kaliningrad (Russia), Nov 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) South Africa’s Citrus Growers’ Association has granted a gift certificate of a ton oranges to the mother of newborn Pyotr Nikolayev from Kaliningrad, who is being recognised as the seven-billionth person.
The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and Russia’s Federal Service for State Statistics decided that seven-billionth person honours would go to the first baby born Oct 31, 2011, since it would be impossible to determine the actual baby who put the planet’s population over seven billion.
The association’s representative in Russia, Irina Merkel, arrived at Kaliningrad’s maternity centre and handed Pyotr’s mother, 36-year-old Yelena Nikolayeva, the certificate, along with flowers and a token baskets of oranges.
“We are granting Petya’s [Pyotr's] parents a certificate for seventy 15-kg boxes of oranges, they can get them in any of our chain’s stores in the Kaliningrad. We have not set a deadline, so Pyotr’s parents can get the oranges whenever they want,” Merkel said.
The newborn Pyotr is the family’s third child, as his parents already have a son and a daughter.
Earlier, Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin visited the Kaliningrad maternity center where Pyotr was born.
The UN has not formally designated a seven-billionth inhabitant and many different countries have marked the event.
In the Russian cities of St. Petersburg, Kaliningrad and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatksky, UN representatives handed out certificates to the parents of newborns who are “seven-billionth” candidates.
- World's 7-billionth child is Russian - Oct 31, 2011
- Nargis of Uttar Pradesh is world's seven billionth baby - Oct 31, 2011
- Philippines greets world's 7 billionth baby - Oct 31, 2011
- Thai sextuplets named after car brands - Jul 07, 2012
- Russian government wants elderly to work beyond retirement - Jun 22, 2012
- Russian physicist Sergei Kapitsa dies at 84 - Aug 14, 2012
- FIFA World Cup delegates visit Samara - Jun 22, 2012
- Eight babies die in Russian hospital - Jan 22, 2012
- Russian painter sews lips to protest - Jul 24, 2012
- Moscow set to curb drinking, have less liquor stores - May 06, 2012
- Russia unveils anti-missile radar in Kaliningrad - Nov 29, 2011
- Olympic athletics: Russia's Lashmanova wins walk in record time - Aug 12, 2012
- Russia leader wants pot, prostitution made legal - Jan 20, 2012
- Mother throws crying baby from 14th floor - Mar 03, 2012
- Russia to deploy S-400 air defence systems near borders - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: billionth person, citrus growers, inhabitant, irina, maternity center, merkel, nations population fund, newborns, nikolayev, oranges, petropavlovsk, ria novosti, russian cities, russian prime minister, state statistics, third child, unfpa, united nations population fund, vladimir putin, yelena