South Africa beat Poland in women’s hockey Olympic qualifierFebruary 18th, 2012 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 18 (IANS) Favourites South Africa started their campaign in the 2012 Olympic women hockey qualifiers with a 2-1 win over Poland in the first match at the Major Dhyan Chand Stadium here Saturday.
The South Africans, only arrived two days ago in Delhi, had trouble getting their rhythm and the first scoring chance was for Poland, Natalia Wisniewska shooting just wide after a long run tearing through the South African defence.
The Polish players were the more enterprising in the first half, often penetrating the rival defence but they could not seriously threaten Mariette Rix in the South African goal.
The South African fans in the stands tried to shake up their squad with their noisy vuvuzelas, but the score remained 0-0 at the break.
South Africa found their form early in second half, promptly forcing two penalty-corners, with Kate Woods scoring the second with a direct shot. Their joy was, however, short lived with Magdalena Zagajska scoring for Poland at the other end less than 30 seconds later.
The South Africans were moving the ball efficiently in the midfield but the compact Polish defence kept its structure, preventing any shot at the goal. The deadlock was finally broken in the 53rd minute when Pietie Coetzee received the ball at the far post and made no mistake to slot it under Marta Kucharska in the Polish goal.
The experienced South Africans controlled the final ten minutes of the match but could not increase their narrow margin.
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: South Africa beat Canada 4-1 - Feb 24, 2012
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: South Africa held to a draw by Italy - Feb 21, 2012
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: Canada take fifth place - Feb 26, 2012
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: South Africa blank Ukraine - Feb 19, 2012
- Men's hockey Olympic qualifier: Bronze for Canada - Feb 26, 2012
- Indian women lose in hockey Champions Challenge I - Jun 25, 2011
- Men's hockey Olympic qualifier: Poland beat Canada - Feb 19, 2012
- Women's hockey Olympic qualifier: Canada overcome resolute Poland - Feb 22, 2012
- Indian women hockey team's Olympic dreams shattered (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- CWG women's hockey: South Africa whip Trinidad & Tobago 12-0 - Oct 04, 2010
- CWG women's hockey: England beat South Africa, wins bronze - Oct 13, 2010
- CWG women's hockey: Heartbreak for India, out of medal rounds - Oct 09, 2010
- India concede equaliser in dying seconds to draw with Belgium - Nov 27, 2011
- Olympic hockey qualifiers: Indian men, women in finals (Roundup) - Feb 25, 2012
- Women's hockey: SA, NZ eye semi-final spot - Oct 06, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,