South Africa are at top of the ODI rankings (Lead)January 30th, 2009 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, Jan 30 (IANS) South Africa has taken the top spot in International Cricket Council’s (ICC) ODI Championship table following its 39-run victory over Australia in Perth Saturday. The Proteas were three ratings points behind Ricky Ponting’s men going into the fifth and final ODI of the series, but now they move ahead by a fraction of a point and top the ladder for the first time since April 2008 when they briefly wrested No. 1 spot from Australia’s grasp.
Australia have an immediate opportunity to take back the top spot as its five-match series against New Zealand begins Sunday. The table is so tight at the top that victory in that first ODI will send Australia right back to where it has spent the vast majority of the past seven years since the rankings were devised.
Meanwhile, India is hovering just outside the top two and is now just five ratings points behind South Africa and Australia after winning the first match of a five-ODI series in Sri Lanka.
At the other end of the table, Zimbabwe has moved up one place to 10th in the rankings after winning the opening two matches of its five-ODI series in Kenya.
- India move to third spot in ICC ODI rankings - Oct 26, 2011
- Dhoni sixth in ODI rankings after prolific series in England - Sep 18, 2011
- India need a whitewash of Sri Lanka to be No. 1 ODI team - Jul 19, 2012
- Sri Lanka pip India to second place in ODI rankings - Nov 09, 2010
- India move ahead of England after 2-0 lead in ODI series - Oct 18, 2011
- India have good chance of going past England in ODI rankings - Oct 12, 2011
- Sri Lanka moves ahead of India in ODI Championship - Nov 09, 2010
- India may slip to fourth spot in ICC Test rankings - Mar 30, 2012
- India drop to fifth position in ICC rankings - Sep 17, 2011
- Team India could top ICC ODI rankings by January end - Jan 03, 2010
- Dhoni regains number-one ODI batting position - Feb 20, 2010
- Kohli starts series as highest-ranked batsman - Feb 04, 2012
- England secure top spot in ICC Test championship table - Mar 11, 2012
- India slip to third position in ODIs - Nov 11, 2009
- India top Test rankings, England challenge Proteas - Jan 07, 2011