Sourav opens Metro Cash & Carry’s outletDecember 3rd, 2008 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 3 (IANS) Cricket star Sourav Ganguly Wednesday inaugurated the first outlet of Metro Cash & Carry India, the Indian arm of German wholesaler Metro AG, in Kolkata.The opening comes 54 days after the company was granted licence to sell farm commodities and other food items to hotels, restaurants, caterers, retailers and traders in the state.
The company had faced tough times earlier as Forward Bloc, a prominent partner in the state’s Left Front government, which controls agriculture and agricultural marketing departments, opposed the renewal of the licence.
“The opening of our (Metro AG) first wholesale store in Kolkata is an important milestone for the company,” said Metro Cash & Carry India managing director Martin Dlouhy.
State Sundarbans Affairs Minister Kanti Ganguly was also present at the inauguration of the store.
- Metro Cash & Carry opens first store in Kolkata (Lead) - Dec 03, 2008
- Wholesale chain Metro Cash & Carry to enter Punjab - Feb 18, 2011
- Metro Cash & Carry officials to meet Buddhadeb Wednesday - Sep 23, 2008
- Metro Cash & Carry bags APMC licence in Bengal - Oct 10, 2008
- Metro Cash & Carry officials to meet West Bengal minister - Sep 22, 2008
- French retailer Carrefour opens first wholesale store in India - Dec 30, 2010
- German firm defers taking decision on West Bengal - Sep 25, 2008
- Forward Bloc opposes Metro Cash & Carry licence - Sep 27, 2008
- Court notice to Bharti Walmart - Jul 11, 2012
- West Bengal Left Front crisis blows over (Lead) - Sep 29, 2008
- Carrefour opens second cash and carry store - Nov 28, 2011
- Forward Bloc not to renew licence of Metro Cash & Carry - Sep 27, 2008
- Bharti Walmart launches global money transfer service - May 24, 2011
- Wal-Mart to target 35,000 Indian farmers for agri-business supply chain by 2015 - Oct 26, 2010
- Bharti Walmart planning more wholesale stores, Punjab is focus - Aug 06, 2010