Soumitra Sen accepts Lok Sabha’s standSeptember 6th, 2011 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 5 (IANS) Soumitra Sen, who resigned as a judge of the Calcutta High Court, has accepted the stand of the Lok Sabha that he will not be impeached by it and wants to put an end to the “debate”, his lawyer said Monday.
With President Pratibha Patil accepting his resignation, the Lok Sabha Monday dropped impeachment proceedings against Sen.
“We are accepting the verdict of the MPs of the lower house,” Sen’s lawyer Subhash Bhattacharya told IANS.
“We’d like to put an end to the debate,” he added.
Law Minister Salman Khurshid moved the motion to drop impeachment proceedings against Sen in the Lok Sabha. Speaker Meira Kumar put it to vote before the house, which adopted the motion.
Sen was held guilty by the Rajya Sabha last month on charges of misappropriating Rs.33.23 lakh in a 1983 case when he was appointed a receiver by the high court. The upper house had on Aug 18 adopted an impeachment motion for removal of Sen with 189 members voting in favour and 16 against.
Justice Sen is the first judge against whom any of the two houses of parliament has passed an impeachment motion. The first such attempt to impeach a judge was against Justice V. Ramaswami of the Supreme Court in 1993, but the motion to remove him fell through in the Lok Sabha as the ruling Congress abstained.
A three-member committee constituted by Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari found the charges of financial irregularities against Sen to be correct.
Sen, then an advocate, was held guilty of misappropriating Rs.33.23 lakh in a 1983 case when he was appointed a receiver by the high court.
- Apex court dismisses plea on Soumitra Sen impeachment - Nov 25, 2011
- Lok Sabha drops impeachment motion against Sen - Sep 05, 2011
- Lok Sabha likely to take up Justice Sen impeachment - Sep 03, 2011
- No impeachment motion against Justice Sen in Lok Sabha - Sep 05, 2011
- Lok Sabha to take up Justice Sen's impeachment Sep 5 - Aug 30, 2011
- Patil forwards Sen's resignation for notification - Sep 03, 2011
- Justice Sen resigns; President, speaker to decide - Sep 02, 2011
- Sen second judge ever to face impeachment process - Aug 17, 2011
- What does impeachment of a judge mean? (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Impeachment proceedings against Justice Sen begin - Aug 17, 2011
- 'Decide impeachment in accordance with conscience' (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Rajya Sabha makes history; votes for Justice Sen's impeachment (Third Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Rajya Sabha creates history; votes for Justice Sen's impeachment (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2011
- Impeachment proceedings: Justice Sen claims innocence (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Rajya Sabha votes to impeach Justice Soumitra Sen (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011