Soren wins trust vote in Jharkhand assemblyAugust 29th, 2008 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 29 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren Friday won the trust vote in the assembly with a margin of eight votes. A total of 76 legislators participated in the trust vote in the 82-member house.
Of the total votes cast, 42 were in favour of the trust motion and 34 against it.
Three legislators abstained, and one seat is vacant. Jharkhand assembly speaker on Thursday suspended the voting rights of two suspended Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislators, Vishnu Bhaiya and Manohar Tekriwal.
The trust motion was moved at 11 a.m. and the voting took place at 5.50 p.m.
Participating in the debate ahead of the voting, the opposition parties levelled serious allegations against the ministers. “The Shibu Soren government is the outcome of the India-US nuclear deal. The impact is visible as Madhu Koda was removed and Shibu Soren made the chief minister,” said Arjun Munda, former chief minister and Leader of the Opposition.
“Soren struggled for creating the state, but he has become the laughing stock in order to form the government,” Munda said.
The debate lasted for more than five hours.
Replying to the trust vote debate, Soren said: “When I can create a separate Jharkhand state, then why cannot I develop the state.”
“I will not say much, rather I will act for the development of the state,” the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief said.
Soren took oath as chief minister on Wednesday along with 11 ministers.
Soren had withdrawn the support of his JMM party to the Madhu Koda government on Aug 17 in order to become chief minister. Koda, finding the numbers against him and heeding the direction of the central United Progressive Alliance leaders, resigned Aug 25.
- Four JMM legislators boycott legislative party meeting - Oct 19, 2011
- Another BJP-JMM government, another twist in Jharkhand's political tale - Sep 09, 2010
- Grateful Jharkhand gives Shibu Soren house for life - Nov 25, 2010
- Jailed legislators helped Congress: BJP - May 03, 2012
- Arjun Munda becomes Jharkhand chief minister third time (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- Arjun Munda Govt. wins trust vote in Jharkhand Assembly - Sep 14, 2010
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- Backed by JMM, BJP set to form Jharkhand government (Intro Roundup) - Sep 07, 2010
- Arjun Munda wins trust vote (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- JMM eyes Jameshedpur Lok Sabha seat after Munda victory - Feb 18, 2011
- Advani upset over coalition with JMM in Jharkhand - Sep 10, 2010
- 'Soren government a combination of Ram and Ravana' (Lead) - Jan 07, 2010
- 9 years, 7 governments - and Jharkhand in trouble again - Apr 29, 2010
- BJP's Arjun Munda to take oath as Jharkhand CM today - Sep 11, 2010
- BJP aligns with JMM, seeks to form Jharkhand government (Third Lead) - Sep 07, 2010