Soren to form new Jharkhand government, prove majority Sep 1 (Third Lead)August 26th, 2008 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 25 (IANS) Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief Shibu Soren was Monday invited by Governor Syed Sibte Razi to form the new state government and asked to prove majority by Sep 1.Soren will take of oath as the new chief minister Wednesday at Morabadi ground here.
The swearing-in ceremony will take place around 1 p.m. and seven Independents are likely to take oath along with Soren. The state cabinet formation will be decided Tuesday, according to sources.
Earlier in the day, the JMM chief met Governor Razi and presented a letter of support from 42 legislators.
The move came after outgoing chief minister Madhu Koda finally softened his stance and expressed support for him.
When Soren went to meet the governor, he was accompanied by Koda, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad, central minister and Congress MP Subodh Kant Sahay and Independent, or unattached, legislators.
His letter named nine legislators of the Congress, seven of Lalu Prasad’s RJD and eight Independents, apart from JMM’s 17 legislators.
Koda, who was forced to step down Saturday to make way for Soren, took a U-turn and extended his support to the JMM chief after a meeting with him and Lalu Prasad in the afternoon.
“I have extended support to Shibu Soren. No one is above the UPA (United Progressive Alliance),” Koda had told reporters.
Asked about joining the next government, he said: “I have not decided about it.”
The Koda government was reduced to a minority in the state legislature after the JMM withdrew support to it Aug 17. Koda stepped down following advice from the central UPA leadership.
While the Congress and the RJD announced their support to Soren, he managed to win over eight Independents, including Koda, one after the other.
On Monday, Stephen Marandi, deputy chief minister in the Koda government, also announced his support to Soren.
JMM supporters celebrated after Guruji, as they call Soren, met the governor. They distributed sweets and burst fire crackers.
Soren, who was chief minister of the state for 10 days in March 2005, had long dreamt of returning to the post. He got an opportunity when his party supported the Manmohan Singh government in the crucial trust vote of July 22.
- Pranab campaigns in Jharkhand, Lalu, Paswan also pitch in - Jul 12, 2012
- Soren invited to form government, to prove majority Sep 1 (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Soren stakes claim, Koda supports him (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Advani upset over coalition with JMM in Jharkhand - Sep 10, 2010
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- BJP's Arjun Munda sworn in as Jharkhand CM for the third time - Sep 11, 2010
- Differences in JMM on backing BJP-led government - Apr 29, 2010
- Soren flays Lalu for ruling out alternative Jharkhand government - Feb 01, 2009
- BJP's Arjun Munda to take oath as Jharkhand CM on Sept. 11 - Sep 09, 2010
- With JMM support, BJP stakes claim to form Jharkhand government (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Grateful Jharkhand gives Shibu Soren house for life - Nov 25, 2010
- BJP's Arjun Munda to take oath as Jharkhand CM today - Sep 11, 2010
- With 42 MLAs, Soren stakes claim to be chief minister - Aug 25, 2008
- BJP joins up with JMM again, stakes claim for Jharkhand government (Roundup) - Sep 07, 2010
- BJP aligns with JMM, seeks to form Jharkhand government (Third Lead) - Sep 07, 2010