Soren sacks two ministers on corruption charges (Lead)December 18th, 2008 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Dec 18 (IANS) Jharkhand Chief Minister Shibu Soren Thursday sacked two ministers from his cabinet for allegedly amassing wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income, official sources said.The two ministers who have been sacked are Rural Development Minister Enos Ekka and Urban Development Minister Harinarayan Rai.
“Both ministers have been sacked in the light of the first information report (FIR) lodged against them by the vigilance department,” Soren told reporters here Thursday.
On November 26 an FIR was lodged against both ministers by the vigilance department.
The charges against the two ministers include swindling of government funds, amassing wealth through illegal means and other misappropriation.
The court directed the vigilance department to lodge the FIR while hearing a petition filed by Vinod Kumar, a resident of Deoghar district of Jharkhand.
Vinod Kumar in his petition alleged that both ministers had amassed wealth more than their known sources of income since they became legislators and later ministers in 2005.
Ekka during the 2005 assembly elections had disclosed his assets to consist of Rs.50,000 cash, investment of Rs.700,000, one motorcycle, one tractor and some other assets.
At present, Ekka is allegedly the owner of properties, including land, worth more than Rs.500 million. Rai allegedly owns property worth more than Rs.300 million.
Ekka had also dared Soren to sack him from the cabinet as he would not withdraw his party’s candidate in the assembly by-election.
Ekka’s party has fielded Raja Peter to take on Soren in the Dec 29 by-poll.
Soren threatened to sack Ekka if he did not withdraw Peter’s candidature.
Soren, who is not a legislator, needs to get elected to the assembly before Feb 27.
- Soren will get a fitting reply in by-poll, says ousted minister - Dec 19, 2008
- Money laundering charges filed against two ex-ministers - Jan 10, 2011
- Ex Jharkhand minister has assets 579 percent of income! - Jan 27, 2012
- Sacked Jharkhand minister fears threat, seeks security - Dec 24, 2008
- Lodge FIR against Jharkhand ex-minister, official: Vigilance court - Jul 07, 2009
- FIR against two Jharkhand ministers in assets case - Nov 27, 2008
- Koda, ex-cabinet colleagues in jail on corruption charges (Lead) - Dec 01, 2009
- Two Jharkhand ex-ministers' arrests sought in graft cases - Jun 26, 2009
- Arrest warrants against two former Jharkhand ministers for graft - Jun 27, 2009
- CBI takes over Koda scam probe - Aug 12, 2010
- Homes of two former Jharkhand ministers raided - Feb 13, 2009
- Koda to be quizzed separately by vigilance, enforcement officials - Dec 05, 2009
- Questioning of Koda, cabinet colleagues continues (Lead) - Dec 07, 2009
- Plea for CBI probe into Shibu Soren's assets - Jun 21, 2011
- Jailed Jharkhand ex-minister files poll papers - Nov 17, 2009