Soren invited to form government, to prove majority Sep 1 (Second Lead)August 25th, 2008 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 25 (IANS) Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) chief Shibu Soren was Monday invited by Jharkhand Governor Syed Sibte Razi to form the government and asked to prove his majority by Sep 1.Soren earlier met Governor Razi and presented a letter of support from 42 legislators.
The move came after outgoing chief minister Madhu Koda finally softened his stance and expressed support for him.
When Soren went to meet the governor, he was accompanied by Koda, Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad, central minister and Congress MP Subodh Kant Sahay and Independent, or unattached, legislators.
His letter named nine legislators of the Congress, seven of Lalu Prasad’s RJD and eight Independents, apart from JMM’s 17 legislators.
Koda, who was forced to step down Saturday to make way for Soren, took a U-turn and extended his support to the JMM chief after a meeting with him and Lalu Prasad in the afternoon.
“I have extended support to Shibu Soren. No one is above the UPA (United Progressive Alliance),” Koda had told reporters.
Asked about joining the next government, he said: “I have not decided about it.”
The Koda government was reduced to a minority in the state legislature after the JMM withdrew support to it Aug 17. Koda stepped down following advice from the central UPA leadership.
While the Congress and the RJD announced their support to Soren, he managed to win over eight Independents, including Koda, one after the other.
On Monday, Stephen Marandi, deputy chief minister in the Koda government, also announced his support to Soren.
JMM supporters celebrated after Guruji, as they call Soren, met the governor. They distributed sweets and burst fire crackers.
Soren, who was chief minister of the state for 10 days in March 2005, had long dreamt of returning to the post. He got an opportunity when his party supported the Manmohan Singh government in the crucial trust vote of July 22.
- Pranab campaigns in Jharkhand, Lalu, Paswan also pitch in - Jul 12, 2012
- Jharkhand's Rajya Sabha poll could leave Munda shaky - May 01, 2012
- Soren to form new Jharkhand government, prove majority Sep 1 (Third Lead) - Aug 26, 2008
- Soren stakes claim, Koda supports him (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- Differences in JMM on backing BJP-led government - Apr 29, 2010
- Advani upset over coalition with JMM in Jharkhand - Sep 10, 2010
- Soren flays Lalu for ruling out alternative Jharkhand government - Feb 01, 2009
- BJP withdraws support, Soren given week to prove majority (Roundup) - May 24, 2010
- Cabinet approves revocation of President's rule in Jharkhand - Sep 09, 2010
- Four options for alternative government in Jharkhand - May 25, 2010
- BJP's Arjun Munda sworn in as Jharkhand CM for the third time - Sep 11, 2010
- Soren writes to Gadkari, seeks apology - Apr 29, 2010
- BJP's Arjun Munda to take oath as Jharkhand CM on Sept. 11 - Sep 09, 2010
- Shibu Soren to decide JMM's stand on presidential poll - Jun 24, 2012
- Hopeful getting Mamata's support, says Pranab (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012