Soon, solar rickshaws for Delhi’s Chandni ChowkAugust 22nd, 2008 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) Come Gandhi Jayanti (Oct 2), solar rickshaws will replace man-pulled pedicabs in the Chandni Chowk area of old Delhi.Science and Technology Minister Kapil Sibal, who also represents the constituency in parliament, Friday advised Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit to introduce these green vehicles from Oct 2.
The rickshaw would weigh 210 kg and would be able to run at a speed of 15 to 20 km per hour.
It would be run by a solar battery, which would suffice for a journey of 70 km.
The battery would take five hours to be charged with the help of solar panels in the charging unit which will be functional above the Delhi metro stations, an official of the city government said.
It is expected that these rickshaws would ply within a radius of 3 km from the Chandni Chowk metro station.
The solar powered rickshaws in Chandni Chowk would be a pilot project and its success will pave the way for implementation in other areas.
Dikshit expressed confidence that the project will be eco-friendly, passenger-friendly and suitable for a locality like Chandni Chowk.
The rickshaw would cost approximately Rs.17,000.
- Sachin Pilot launches environment-friendly postal delivery vehicle 'Soleckshaw' - Jul 09, 2010
- Vodafone launches eco-friendly rickshaw ahead of Games - Aug 10, 2010
- Secretariat-Kashmere Gate Metro line expected by 2015 - May 25, 2012
- DMRC asked for project report om monorail - Aug 01, 2012
- Faridabad to come on Delhi Metro line - Mar 25, 2012
- Solar rickshaw finds no takers (With Image) - Sep 28, 2010
- Riding to Green Games on a 'Soleckshaw'! (With Images) - Feb 09, 2010
- Delhi Metro impresses Punjab chief minister - Feb 13, 2012
- Mock drills at 11 Delhi Metro stations Saturday - Jul 27, 2012
- Delhi Metro chief inspects ongoing work - Feb 10, 2012
- DMRC signs MoU with Haryana for Badarpur-Faridabad link - Mar 26, 2012
- Low cost solutions must to overcome terrorism, poverty and climate change: Sibal - Dec 05, 2008
- More escalators in two busy Metro stations - Jul 08, 2010
- We will miss Sreedharan's services: Dikshit - Dec 28, 2011
- Delhi Metro gives joyride to cancer-afflicted kids - Jul 13, 2012