Son’s marksheet helps in arrest of fraudsterJune 23rd, 2008 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) A man accused of cheating several traders in the capital to the tune of millions of rupees was arrested from Meerut after the police found a clue to his whereabouts from his son’s Class 12 marksheet. Ruia, who had allegedly cheated several traders in Chandni Chowk and Lohari Gate area in the walled Delhi, was arrested Sunday.
Ruia, 40, worked as a middleman to arrange loans for various parties from prospective lenders for the last six-seven years in Chandni Chowk. He operated from his office in the same area and lived in Ghaziabad.
The police were looking for him after Nitin Gupta, a trader, complained that Ruia had cheated him of Rs.700,000 and had fled with his family.
“Ruia issued post-dated cheques to Gupta as a guarantee for the borrowed money. But when the cheques bounced, Ruia escaped with his family,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (North Delhi) Devesh Srivastva said Monday.
“When we came to know that Ruia’s son Viresh Kant was studying in 12th class, we approached the CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) office at Preet Vihar in Delhi and found that his son had passed the board examination from D.P.M. Public School Behsuma in Meerut,” Srivastva added.
The police said the accused was arrested from Meerut in Uttar Pradesh when he went to collect his son’s marksheet from the school.
- Travel firm owner, wife held for cheating - Jul 17, 2012
- Three arrested for cheating traders - Jul 13, 2010
- Cheating couple promising new cars for old arrested - Apr 15, 2011
- Five held with fake amulet in Delhi - Sep 02, 2012
- Man held for trying to sell minor girl in Delhi - Jun 04, 2012
- Two arrested for cheating engineers - Sep 18, 2012
- Mosque area tense, many held for stoning cops (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Railway job racket busted, 5 arrested - Apr 27, 2012
- Hyderabad builder arrested for cheating DLF - Jun 23, 2012
- Mosque area tense, two held for stoning cops (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Couple held for duping NRIs, elderly - Feb 17, 2011
- Tension at mosque site, few arrested for stoning police - Jul 22, 2012
- Four held for cheating telecom company Uninor (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- BJP protests against Ramdev crackdown, corruption - Jun 11, 2011
- Minor boy kidnapped, sold for Rs.10,000 - Jul 16, 2011