Sonia urged to intervene, check Orissa violenceAugust 28th, 2008 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 28 (IANS) A Christian activist has urged Congress president Sonia Gandhi to advice the central government to take steps and check communal violence in Orissa.The central government must authorise the army to move into affected blocks of Kandhamal district where the Orissa police and the Rapid Action Force (RAF) had “failed miserably” in controlling violence, National Integration Council member John Dayal has said in a letter to Gandhi.
“I have written the letter on behalf of the Christian community,” Dayal told IANS.
Communal clashes flared up in Orissa after Swami Lakshmananand Saraswati, a Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader, and four others were killed in Kandhamal district Saturday evening. At least 11 people have been killed and several churches attacked across the state where many towns are under curfew.
“The central government must order a CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) inquiry into the murder of the VHP leader and the ensuing violence to trace the guilty in both cases,” Dayal wrote.
“Relief and rehabilitation steps must be taken so that the tens of thousands of Christians now hiding in the forests can return home. The government must rebuild their houses and also rebuild every single church that has been destroyed,” Dayal said.
A delegation of Christians also met the prime minister Thursday and submitted a memorandum in this regard, Dayal added.
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik could have prevented Saraswati's murder: BJP ex-minister - Mar 10, 2011
- Christmas celebrations pass off peacefully in Orissa - Dec 25, 2010
- Security tightened in Orissa for peaceful Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- EU team meets police, Christian leaders over Kandhamal - Feb 04, 2010
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010
- EU team meets Kandhamal riot victims - Feb 04, 2010
- 14 get jail terms for Kandhamal riots - Nov 20, 2010
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- EU team meets Kandhamal riot victims (Lead) - Feb 04, 2010
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010