Sonia to go ahead with Assam visit despite bomb blastMay 26th, 2012 - 12:52 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 26 (IANS) Despite a bomb blast in Tinsukia district hours ahead of her scheduled visit here, United Progressive Alliance (UPA) chairperson Sonia Gandhi decided to join the official celebrations of the first anniversary of the Assam government’s third consecutive term.
Gandhi is likely to return to Delhi Saturday evening, according to officials.
The security agencies deployed in the state have drawn an elaborate security plan to foil any attempt by the anti-talks faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) militants to disrupt the function, an official added.
The banned organisation had earlier called a 12-hour shutdown across the state to oppose the UPA chairperson’s visit to Assam.
According to police, a blast took place late Friday night at Philobari in Tinsukia district, over 500 km away from Guwahati, in which an unidentified person was killed.
The bomb was planted in front of the house of a Congress leader, police said.
- ULFA attempt to disrupt Manmohan's visit foiled - Apr 18, 2012
- 12 injured in Assam blast (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Blast kills one in Assam ahead of Sonia's visit - May 26, 2012
- Five anti-talk ULFA cadres nabbed - Apr 21, 2012
- Three injured in Assam grenade blast - Sep 11, 2012
- Five injured in Assam blast - Sep 06, 2012
- ULFA faction opposes Sonia's Assam visit, calls for shutdown - May 22, 2012
- Guwahati blast: 50 detained, ULFA claims responsibility - Sep 09, 2012
- ULFA firm on April 20 Assam shutdown - Apr 17, 2012
- High security in Assam after ULFA messages intercepted - Sep 10, 2012
- Two guerrillas killed in Assam - May 30, 2012
- Three injured in Assam blast - Jan 02, 2012
- Assam on alert after militant strikes (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Security alert in Assam to foil militant attacks - Mar 15, 2011
- Ulfa's bomb-making unit busted; 2 held - May 21, 2012
Tags: anniversary, assam government, bomb blast, celebrations, chairperson, congress leader, faction, friday night, guwahati, progressive alliance, saturday evening, security agencies, security plan, sonia gandhi, ulfa militants, unidentified person, united liberation front, UPA