Sonia rallies in Himachal in SeptemberAugust 29th, 2012 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 29 (IANS) Congress president Sonia Gandhi will address public rallies in Himachal Pradesh next month in the run-up to the assembly polls, a party leader said Wednesday.
“Sonia Gandhi will address rallies in Shimla and Kangra in September,” Birender Chaudhary, Congress’ in-charge of Himachal affairs, told reporters.
He also defended the Congress central committee’s decision to replace the state party chief ahead of the polls.
He said Kaul Singh was replaced with Virbhadra Singh as part of a political strategy.
“Virbhadra Singh has been appointed new president to bring back the party to power in the state,” he said.
Virbhadra Singh, 78, who had served as the chief minister five times, is regarded in party circles as the tallest leader in the state with mass following.
On Virbhadra Singh contesting the polls, Chaudhary said: “If he desires, he can contest the elections.”
Elections to the 68-member Himachal assembly are due in December, but they are likely to be held in November.
Virbhadra Singh had Tuesday told reporters in New Delhi that he would contest the polls.
“I’ll keep contesting elections, either for the assembly or the Lok Sabha, since my life is dedicated to the service of the people,” he said.
He reached Shimla from Chandigarh Wednesday after holding several rallies on the way, receiving overwhelming responses.
The 78-year-old had resigned as the union micro, small and medium enterprises minister June 26 after a Shimla court order in a 23-year-old corruption case against him.
- Virbhadra determined to steer assembly poll (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Congress assures sulking Virbhadra of larger say in candidate selection (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh is Himachal Congress chief - Aug 26, 2012
- Himachal Congress tries to put house in order (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 28, 2012
- Himachal Congress to project 'united face' - May 01, 2012
- No question of quitting Congress: Virbhadra - Aug 01, 2012
- Setback for Virbhadra in Himachal poll arena? (News Analysis) - Jun 26, 2012
- Himachal Congress legislators knock on Sonia's door (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh appointed Congress' Himachal chief - Aug 29, 2012
- Suspense over Virbhadra as Himachal Congress chief - Aug 25, 2012
- Congress tries to mollify sulking Virbhadra - Jul 27, 2012
- Virbhadra accuses Dhumal of vindictiveness - Jul 01, 2012
- It's homecoming for Virbhadra Singh (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jun 29, 2012
- Congress mulling naming Virbhadra Himachal unit chief - Aug 24, 2012
- BJP united, Congress divided ahead of polls (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jul 28, 2012
Tags: central committee, chandigarh, chief minister, congress president sonia gandhi, corruption case, himachal, kangra, kaul, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, new president, overwhelming responses, party chief, party circles, party leader, political strategy, public rallies, shimla, small and medium enterprises, virbhadra singh