Sonia authorised to take decision on Puducherry impasseAugust 26th, 2008 - 12:43 am ICT by IANS
Puducherry, Aug 25 (IANS) A majority of legislators of the ruling Congress empowered party president Sonia Gandhi to take an appropriate decision on the demand to remove Chief Minister N. Rangasamy, Union Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi told reporters Monday.After a day-long meeting of Congress MLAs, Ravi said: “We have understood the problems and are sure the party president will take an appropriate decision”.
Speaker of the Assembly R. Radhakrishnan, one of the hopefuls for the post, however, did not attend the meeting.
Some people who were alleged to be supporters of Chief Minister Rangasamy broke the windscreen of Union Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs V. Narayanswamy who attempted to attend the legislators’ meet.
Several public transport vehicles were also vandalised, police sources said.
A majority of the 11 Congress legislators had demanded the removal of Rangasamy.
- All India NR Congress throws out Congress in Puducherry (Roundup) - May 14, 2011
- Rangasamy stakes claim to form Puducherry government - May 15, 2011
- Vaidyalingam to be Puducherry chief minister Sep 1 (Lead, Changing dateline) - Aug 28, 2008
- Congress core committee meets to discuss Mamata's demands, Uttarakhand crisis - Mar 17, 2012
- Rangasamy leads new party to power in Puducherry - May 13, 2011
- Decision on coalition later: Rangasamy - May 14, 2011
- 187 candidates fray for Puducherry assembly polls - Mar 31, 2011
- Karnataka asks PM to rescind Cauvery water decision - Sep 21, 2012
- Vaidthilingam to be new Puducherry chief minister - Aug 28, 2008
- Rangasamy sworn in, announces 25 kg free rice for poor - May 16, 2011
- Iqbal Singh sworn-in as Puducherry Lieutenant Governor - Jul 27, 2009
- Cauvery award: Both Tamil Nadu, Karnataka unhappy (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2012
- Jayalalithaa charges Puducherry's Rangasamy with betrayal - May 19, 2011
- Pranab in Hyderabad to seek support - Jul 01, 2012
- Bansal, Narayanswamy meet Pranab on 2G issue - Sep 29, 2011