Soni to flag off Royal Rajasthan on Wheels next monthDecember 30th, 2008 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 30 (IANS) Royal Rajasthan on Wheels, a regal train chugging across the land of maharajas in western India, will start its maiden journey Jan 11 when it will be flagged off by Tourism Minister Ambika Soni.The train, according to the Rajasthan Tourism Department, will be a landmark in terms of comfort, luxury and service. It will also provide an alternative to the Palace on Wheels, India’s first luxury train, which is already booked till 2010.
“Rajasthan Tourism, Art and Culture Minister Bina Kak called on Ambika Soni Tuesday and urged her to inaugurate the train. Soni expressed her consent immediately,” the Rajasthan government said in a statement Tuesday.
Railway Minister Lalu Prasad will also be present during the inauguration of the super luxury train, a joint venture of the Indian Railways and the Rajasthan Tourism.
The Royal Rajasthan on Wheels will have a seating capacity of 82 and will have two super deluxe suites, 13 deluxe saloons, two restobars, international spa facilities, improved water supply and storage, boardroom and internet facilities.
The train will start its weeklong sojourn at New Delhi and return there after visiting Jaipur, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Chittorgarh, Bharatpur and Agra.
Royal Rajasthan on Wheels is estimated to cost Rs.400 million in its initial stage. It is estimated to bring profits of about Rs.120 million in its first year. In comparison, its predecessor Palace on Wheels made a profit of Rs.85 million last year.
In the past four years, Rajasthan has witnessed a jump in tourist arrivals - both foreign and domestic. While the foreign arrivals went up from 6,29,000 in 2003 to 1.4 million in 2007, the domestic tourism numbers leapfrogged from 12.54 million to 25.92 million in the same period.
This, according to the state tourism department, is thanks to systematic investment of Rs.1.28 billion in conservation, restoration and development of monuments, forts, palaces, step-wells, heritage hotels, upgradation of tourist centres, landscaping works and rural tourism projects.
- Royal Rajasthan on Wheels to chug on from December - Aug 25, 2008
- Royal Rajasthan on Wheels to offer regal sojourn (Lead) - Aug 25, 2008
- India's new super luxury train flagged off from New Delhi - Sep 06, 2010
- India launches one more royal tourist train - Jan 11, 2009
- Slowdown takes the steam out of Indian luxury trains - Apr 12, 2009
- Tourists enjoy `Royal Rajasthan on Wheels'' splendour - Jan 18, 2009
- Special train for Bhutan royal couple - Oct 25, 2011
- Feel like a maharaja chugging from Kolkata to Delhi - Mar 21, 2010
- Luxury trains being monitored closely in Rajasthan - Mar 12, 2010
- India holds road shows in Saudi Arabia to attract tourists - Jan 13, 2012
- Maharajas' Express chugs out from Kolkata - Mar 21, 2010
- Palace on Wheels: A royal caravan journey into history (Feature) (With Images) - Sep 05, 2010
- Luxury train trips for Indian CWG medal winners - Oct 05, 2010
- Indian road show woos Canadian tourists - May 21, 2010
- Woman held for posing as Mamata's aide - Feb 08, 2012