Some Delhi cops face inquiry over links with land mafiaJanuary 13th, 2009 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 13 (IANS) At a time when sleuths of the Delhi Police are probing irregularities in the allotment of over 5,000 flats in the capital, their own officers have come under the scanner for alleged nexus with the land mafia.According to an internal inquiry ordered by Delhi Police Commissioner Y.S. Dadwal in December last year, the station-in charge of two police stations in south Delhi are being probed for their alleged “non-conforming” activities. Both the police officials had allegedly remained mute spectators to the incidents of land grabbing in their respective areas.
“In the initial report it was found that some police officers were in cahoots with land grabbers. And they may have facilitated the land-grabbing activities by working hand in glove with the land mafia, especially in south Delhi,” said a senior police officer.
“The inquiry is still underway and we might ask the vigilance department to take up the case. Officers of the rank of inspectors, sub-inspectors and beat constables may have possible links with the land syndicates,” said the officer.
Suspecting the involvement of some police personnel, many land grabbing cases were recently transferred to the Crime Branch’s elite Economic Offences Wing (EOW).
Dadwal ordered an internal inquiry after a city court, while hearing a land grabbing case, noted that: “The local police, deliberately in connivance (with the criminals), didn’t seek the accused’s remand.”
In November last year police arrested Jagdish Mann who is known to belong to the land grabbing syndicate, but did not seek his police custody. Instead they asked for the remand of his manager, Samunder Singh.
In an internal inquiry of all the recent land grabbing cases, the names of both the station house officers cropped up for their alleged inaction.
- Akhilesh orders probe against former UP power minister - Jun 02, 2012
- Cops raid Mumbai Congress ex-chief, seal property (Lead) - Mar 02, 2012
- Police custody for Kaskar driver's shooters (Third Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Four held in Rajasthan for shady land deals - Apr 11, 2011
- Dawood's brother attacked, aide killed (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Two more detained for attack on Dawood's brother - May 18, 2011
- Punjab's elite-60 under HC lens over land dealings (Punjab Newsletter) - May 25, 2012
- NRI woman threatens to sue Punjab Police - Jun 20, 2011
- Delhi Police told to probe complaint against officials - Aug 22, 2011
- Dawood's brother attacked in Mumbai, aide killed (Second Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Court orders police action on lawyer's assault - Feb 16, 2012
- Iqbal Kaskar not at shootout site, claim Mumbai police (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Senior Rajasthan cop sent to police custody - May 16, 2011
- CBI probes Srinagar air force land scam - Nov 23, 2011
- Delhi Police urged to act against land mafia - Jul 13, 2012