Somdev to be brand ambassador of Northeast Sports FestivalJanuary 12th, 2009 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Jan 12 (IANS) India’s new tennis sensation Somdev Devvarman, who hails from the northeast, is likely to be the brand ambassador of the Northeast Sports Festival (NSF) beginning here Feb 4, officials said Monday.”We are trying our best to make Somdev brand ambassador of the NSF. We would finalise the proposal at the steering committee meeting of the festival on Jan 16,” said Kamal Saha, secretary of the Tripura sports council.
The Northeast Sports Festival is the biggest sporting extravaganza of the region.
“The NSF would also remember the legendry music maestro Sachin Dev Burman, a scion of the Tripura royal family,” Saha told IANS.
Somdev was born in Guwahati. His father Pravanjan Devvarman, a retired income tax commissioner, originally hails from Tripura.
“We are very proud of him. He put up a very good show against Kevin Kim (ranked 113) former World No. 1 Carlos Moya (41), and Croat Ivo Karlovic in the Chennai Open tennis tournament,” Somdev’s father Pravanjan said.
“Somdev gave his finest presentation in the Chennai Open tournament and we really expect that he would play some good tennis in the future,” Pravanjan told IANS by phone from Chennai.
Somdev’s relatives in Tripura, too, took his defeat Sunday in the finals sportingly.
“He has lost to a much higher ranked player after a gruelling battle. We are proud of him and we are certain he will do better in the coming days,” said Dayamay Debbarman, Somdev’s uncle here in Agartala.
Somdev visited Agartala last month to see his close relatives and was given a reception by the Tripura Tennis Association.
“We were really thrilled by the performance and energy of Somdev. This boy, descended from Tripura’s tribal nobility, will earn much credit for India in future in the field of sports,” said Tripura Tennis Association secretary Sujit Roy.
Somdev belongs to Tripura’s royal family. He is the grandson of Tripura’s late royal scion Bikramendra Kishore Debbarman, popularly known as Bidurkarta.
Roy said: “Somdev’s father Pravanjan was a blue in table tennis and cricket during his student life.”
- Crackers, sweets in Tripura as Somdev scripts history at Games - Oct 11, 2010
- Tripura basks in their tennis star Somdev's glory at CWG (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
- Tripura cheers Somdev's Davis Cup victory - Sep 21, 2009
- Tennis star Somdev keen to train northeast players - Dec 06, 2010
- My dream is to win Davis Cup for India: Somdev - Dec 27, 2010
- No dearth of talent in northeast India: Tripura governor - Jan 26, 2011
- India lacks good coaches, says Somdev Devvarman - Jan 02, 2011
- Somdev felicitated for CWG, Asian Games feats - Dec 30, 2010
- Paes felicitated for his 21 years in Davis Cup - Sep 19, 2010
- President confers Narang with Khel Ratna, Arjuna for 19 athletes - Aug 29, 2011
- Tripura's royal palaces to be turned into musuems - Jun 26, 2012
- Hasina visits Tripura Wednesday to commemorate history - Jan 10, 2012
- Ecstastic Somdev short of words to describe his gold win - Nov 23, 2010
- Aircel to sponsor Indian Davis Cup team - Sep 09, 2011
- We need another player in world's top-100: Somdev - Sep 20, 2011