Somdev enters Nashville ATP Challenger finalNovember 8th, 2008 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 8 (IANS) India’s Somdev Devvarman continued his giant-killing spree to upset second seeded American Bobby Reynolds and move into the final of the US$75,000 ATP Challenger in Nashville, USA.The unseeded Somdev scored a 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win over 81-ranked Reynolds to reach his second Challenger final of the season.
Somdev, ranked 241, will now clash with local favourite and fourth seed Robert Kendrick for a winner’s purse of $10,800 and 60 ATP points. Kendrick got the better of fellow American Michael Russell 4-6, 6-0 6-3.
The Davis Cupper had been in stunning form in the tournament and had knocked off American Jesse Levine in the semifinal.
Though Somdev had been going through a rough patch of late and made early exits in Challenger events in Calabasas, Sacramento and Bucharest, losing in the first round in the last two tournaments.
Kendrick might be way above Somdev in the ATP rankings at 91, but the Indian has all the reason to fancy his chances against him. Somdev boasts of a 2-0 record against Kendrick. Interestingly, Somdev clinched his first ATP Challenger title in Lexington in July beating Kendric in the final. The other win came at the Washinton ATP next month where Somdev reached the quarterfinal as a qualifier.
There were good news for India in the doubles as well with Harsh Mankad and Ashutosh Singh reaching the final in the doubles event, going past wild card Scott Oudsema of and Tim Smyczek of USA 6-2, 2-6, 10-6.
The Indian duo will face Australian Carsten Ball and Travis Rettenmair of USA who beat fourth seed Ilia Bozoljac of Serbia and Kendric 6-3, 6-2.
- Mankad-Oudsema lose LA challenger final - Apr 12, 2009
- Wimbledon: Somdev stumbles in second round of qualifiers - Jun 16, 2010
- Mankad-Scott in final, Somdev-Huey out of ATP Challenger - Apr 11, 2009
- Somdev in doubles semis of ATP tourney - Apr 10, 2009
- Somdev goes down in Nashville ATP challenger final - Nov 09, 2008
- Yuki Bhambri wins maiden ATP Challenger singles title - May 20, 2012
- US Open: India's Somdev makes a first-round exit - Aug 28, 2012
- Wimbledon: Prakash advances, Somdev falters (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Somdev crashes out of singles but advances in doubles at Charlottesville - Nov 06, 2010
- Somdev in second round at Houston - Apr 06, 2011
- US Open: Tsonga stunned by Slovak Klizan - Aug 31, 2012
- Teenager Sasikumar in quarters of All India tennis - Mar 30, 2011
- Prakash in second round of Calabasas challenger - Oct 21, 2009
- Prakash-Cerretani go down fighting in Belgrade semis - Feb 19, 2010
- Aircel ATP Tennis: Nishikori eliminates champ Cilic - Jan 03, 2011