Somalian militia kidnap six foreignersNovember 5th, 2008 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mogadishu (Somalia), Nov 5 (Xinhua) Six foreign nationals — four aid workers and two pilots — were abducted Wednesday by unidentified gunmen in the central Somali town of Dhusamareb, the provincial capital of Galgadud. Galgadud governor Hussein Ali Wehliye said the aid workers were about to fly to Kenyan capital Nairobi when the gunmen overpowered the bodyguards accompanying them. He said the aid workers were employed with the Action Contre la Faim or Action Against Hunger (ACF) aid agency.
“I was told that the gunmen overpowered the bodyguards of the ACF staff and were taken outside the town (of Dhusamareb),” Wehliye said over the phone from Dhusamareb, 550 km north of the Somali capital Mogadishu.
Wehliye said he could not verify the nationalities of the abducted foreigners but unconfirmed media reports said that the six included a Belgian, a Polish and two French nationals all working for the ACF aid agency while two pilots were reportedly from Kenya.
Reports from Shusamareb said the pilot and the assistant pilot were also taken to an unknown location along with the four aid workers.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the latest abduction in Somalia where a number of other foreigners are being held hostage for ransom.
Locals and foreigners are kidnapped in Somalia mainly for ransom and are mostly released after intervention by local clan elders who wield substantial influence on the militias.
- German engineer abducted in Somalia - Jan 22, 2012
- Two 'Save the Children' aid workers kidnapped in Somalia - Oct 15, 2010
- Somalia jails six foreigners for carrying ransom money - Jun 19, 2011
- UAE launches relief programme in Somalia - Jul 31, 2011
- British aid worker released after kidnapping in Somalia - Oct 20, 2010
- Al-Shabaab militants withdraw from Somali capital - Aug 07, 2011
- Somali gunmen demand $4 mn to free aid workers - Apr 22, 2009
- UN deplores killing of Somali refugee leader at Kenya camp - Jan 01, 2012
- 14 killed in Somalia suicide bombing - Sep 21, 2012
- One dead in UN agency blast in Somalia - Sep 24, 2011
- Somalia: At least 14 killed in twin bomb attacks in Mogadishu - Sep 22, 2012
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- Released Canadian, Australian journalists to fly to Kenya - Nov 26, 2009
- Pirates free Briton after six months - Mar 21, 2012
- Somali pirates free Brit couple after 388 days - Nov 14, 2010