Somali stabs girlfriend 57 times in BritainJune 23rd, 2012 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 23 (IANS) A 29-year-old Somali refugee in Britain has been jailed for at least 26 years for stabbing his girlfriend 57 times with shards of a broken mirror.
Zakaria Mohamed killed 32-year-old TV recruitment consultant Amina Adan at the home they shared in Walworth, south London.
The Old Bailey court heard he had assaulted her twice before during their year-long relationship, but magistrates put off sentencing him so that he could take part in a domestic abuse programme, the Daily Mail reported.
The man pleaded guilty to killing his girlfriend in November last year with three knives and shards of glass from a broken mirror.
After a row, a drunk Mohamed went home, dragged the woman down the stairs by her hair, beat her unconscious, kicked and stamped on her and stabbed her.
When police arrived, he threatened to kill them too and had to be subdued with a Taser gun.
The victim, who was brought up in Kenya, was described as being hard working and popular at the Al Jazeera TV news network where she worked in human resources.
The man came to Britain in 2002 on a forged Dutch passport. His request for asylum was turned down but he was given indefinite leave in 2007 to remain under an amnesty.
In April 2011, he pleaded guilty to battery on Adan and was placed on a community order that included a domestic abuse programme.
In May 2011, he punched Adan in the stomach and went on the run before being arrested in July. In September, he was convicted of the assault.
- Mubarak aide gets seven years in prison - May 28, 2012
- Ex-navy man, starlet sentenced for TV executive's murder (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Shawntina Burston pleads not guilty to murdering her husband - Feb 01, 2011
- Ex-navy man, actress jailed for killing TV executive (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Man pleads not guilty to stabbing over flatulence - Feb 16, 2011
- Indian-origin man stabs ex-lover 27 times - Oct 12, 2010
- Bodybuilder dies of taser gun bolt! - Aug 18, 2011
- It's curtains for one of Mumbai's most sensational crimes - Jun 30, 2011
- American held after threat to stab pilot - Aug 23, 2011
- Saudi woman gets three years for assaulting maid - Jan 10, 2011
- Chris Brown releases Don't Wake Me Up video - Jun 13, 2012
- Court awards 10-year jail to man for killing wife - Aug 08, 2012
- Indian-origin man stabs ex-girlfriend 27 times (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Teen mom Amber Portwood pleads guilty - Jun 10, 2011
- Indian American jailed for sexual abuse on plane - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: adan, al jazeera, al jazeera tv, al jazeera tv news, asylum, britain london, broken mirror, daily mail, domestic abuse, indefinite leave, magistrates, mohamed, old bailey, old tv, recruitment consultant, shards of glass, somali refugee, south london, taser gun, woman down