Somali pirates seize Dutch shipMay 27th, 2008 - 3:32 pm ICT by admin
Nairobi/Mogadishu , May 27 (DPA) Somali pirates have seized a Dutch cargo ship off the coast of Somalia in the latest of a long line of such attacks, a maritime official said Tuesday. “The ship, which has was sailing to Romania with a Russian and Filipino crew, was captured on Sunday,” Andrew Mwangura, the head of the East Africa Seafarers’ Assistance Programme, told DPA..
The MV Amiya Scan, owned by the Netherlands’ Reider Shipping, left the Kenyan port of Mombasa on May 19.
Reider could not be reached for comment on whether contact had been established with the pirates.
Piracy is rife off the Somali coast, which is close to key shipping routes. More than 20 cases were reported last year, and at least ten this year.
Pirates last week released a Jordanian-flagged ship carrying sugar to the Somali capital Mogadishu without a ransom being paid.
The most recent high-profile case was the capture of a luxury French yacht in April and the attempted ransoming of its crew members. French troops recovered the hostages and captured six of the pirates, although another six are believed to have escaped.
- Somali pirates release ship with all Indian crew - Apr 16, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack Bermuda-flagged ship - Mar 24, 2010
- Somali pirates seize Indian vessel - Dec 22, 2009
- Somali pirates seize ship with 23 Chinese crew - Apr 11, 2010
- Somali pirates seize UAE owned ship - Mar 30, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship - Feb 04, 2010
- Indian Navy seeks report on abduction of Indian sailors off Somalia - Mar 30, 2010
- Pirates set to release German ship after ransom paid - Aug 03, 2009
- Somali pirates seize ship, 21 American crew members - Apr 08, 2009
- Somali pirates demand $5 mn for Ukraine ship - Sep 28, 2008
- Somali pirates fail to reinforce embattled comrades (Lead) - Apr 12, 2009
- Somali pirates want Indian hostages swapped with jailed colleagues - Apr 16, 2011
- Somali pirates seize tanker with 28 North Korean crew - Nov 17, 2009
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Panamanian-flagged vessel pirated off Somalia - Nov 11, 2010