Somali pirates hijack tanker with 25 Indians aboardNovember 28th, 2008 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
Nairobi, Nov 28 (Xinhua) Somali pirates have hijacked a Liberian-flagged chemical tanker in the Gulf of Aden, with 25 Indians among a 30-man team of crew on board, a maritime official said Friday. Andrew Mwangura, East Africa’s coordinator of the Seafarers Assistance Program (SAP), said: “The pirates seized the Liberian flagged chemical tanker in the Gulf of Aden with 30 crew members. There are 25 Indians, three Indonesians and the remaining could be British,” Mwangura told Xinhua over telephone.
“I received the report of the hijack today and I have not established the name of the vessel and where it was sailing to and when exactly the tanker was seized,” Mwangura said.
The Somali pirates have unleashed a reign of terror this year in the Gulf of Aden, one of the world’s busiest shipping lanes.
The hijacked ships included a Saudi Arabian supertanker carrying crude oil of an estimated value of $100 million, the biggest hijacking in recent history.
The Sirius Star belongs to Saudi Arabia’s state-owned Vela International and was carrying two million barrels of oil.
It was hijacked Nov 15 about 833 km off Somalia, along with 25 crew members from Britain, Poland, Croatia and Saudi Arabia.
- Indians on board hijacked oil tanker - May 12, 2012
- Hijacked oil tanker has Indians among crew (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Somali pirates hijack Bermuda-flagged ship - Mar 24, 2010
- Somali pirates attempt to hijack South Korean-flagged vessel near the Comoros Islands - May 05, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Yemeni cargo ship - Nov 25, 2008
- Somali pirates hijack Libyan cargo ship - Feb 04, 2010
- Greek ship latest victim of Somali piracy (Lead) - Nov 19, 2008
- Somali pirates seize ship with 23 Chinese crew - Apr 11, 2010
- Family seeks release of Indian sailor from pirates - Apr 07, 2012
- Pirates reduce ransom for Saudi tanker to $12 mn: report - Nov 24, 2008
- Somali pirates hijack Indian vessel - Dec 14, 2009
- Pirates hijack another vessel near Somalia: US Navy - Nov 19, 2008
- New ships seized as supertanker anchors off Somalia - Nov 19, 2008
- Somali pirates hijack ship with Malta flag - May 02, 2009