Somali pirates free hijacked Yemeni ship without ransomDecember 3rd, 2008 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
Sanaa (Yemen), Dec 3 (DPA) Somali pirates Wednesday freed a Yemeni cargo ship after negotiations with Somali tribal leaders, Yemen’s envoy to Somalia Ahmed Hamid Omar said.”All the 10 pirates have left the ship, and we expect it to leave the Eyl port today (Wednesday),” Omar told DPA by telephone from Eyl port in the semi-autonomous Puntland region in northern Somalia.
Eyl is the stronghold of the Somali pirates.
“We are now finishing final procedures for the ship to head to Yemen,” the Yemeni diplomat said.
The ship’s eight crew members - three Yemenis, three Somalis and two Tanzanians - were released unharmed, he said.
Omar said no ransom was paid to the pirates.
The pirates have demanded $2 million in ransom for the release of the ship, but the owner, who is a Yemeni national of Somali origin, refused to pay.
The ship, Erina, was attacked as it sailed from the south-eastern Yemeni port city of Mukalla to the Indian Ocean island of Socotra Nov 19.
The vessel is carrying 570 tonnes of steel and construction equipment belonging to the Juraiba and Bin-Makhzoum Construction company in Mukalla.
- Pirates leave hijacked Yemeni ship without ransom: Owner - Dec 01, 2008
- Somali pirates hijack Yemeni cargo ship, demand ransom (Lead) - Nov 25, 2008
- Somali leader backs Indian action against pirates (Lead) - May 16, 2012
- Will support Indian military action against pirates: Somali leader - May 15, 2012
- Somali pirates jailed for 10 years in Yemen - Nov 20, 2011
- Indian ship catches fire off Yemen coast - Apr 06, 2010
- Six Somali pirates get death sentence in Yemen - May 18, 2010
- Italian ship with six Indians onboard hijacked - Oct 11, 2011
- Somali pirates release Bulgarian-flagged chemical product tanker after four months - Sep 09, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack German-owned ship off Oman - Dec 28, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack Thai cargo ship carrying 27 crew members - Dec 25, 2010
- Somali pirates hijack U.S.-operated container ship - Dec 11, 2010
- Somali pirates release Greek ship, then hijack another - Jan 17, 2011
- German-owned vessel released from pirate control released - Apr 14, 2011
- UAE oil tanker freed by pirates - Jul 29, 2011