Soldiers need legal protection, says IAF chiefSeptember 14th, 2010 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) While political dilemma over revocation of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from Jammu and Kashmir continues, the Indian Air Force chief Tuesday stressed the need for legal protection to soldiers.
“Soldiers while involved in performing their duty need legal protection if you want them to be efficient,” IAF chief Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
Naik expressed confidence that the government’s decision on the issue would be right.
“I think the government is fully sensitive to the issue and they will take the correct decision,” he added.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony, meanwhile, has assured that the views of all sections would be taken into consideration before a final decision on the AFSPA is taken.
“We will take a decision (on the AFSPA). Tomorrow is the all-party meeting, after which we will take a decision,” Antony said at another function. “The decision has to be taken carefully.”
The AFSPA gives army officers legal immunity for their actions. There can be no prosecution, suit or any other legal proceeding against any officer acting under the act. Nor is the government’s judgement on why an area is found to be “disturbed” subject to judicial review.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has demanded that the AFSPA be revoked from parts of the valley, where the deaths in violence have reached 88 since June 11.
Nearly 16 people lost their lives on Monday during protests initially triggered by reports of the Quran had been desecrated in the US.
- No differences on AFSPA: Ambika Soni - Sep 14, 2010
- Decision on AFSPA after all-party meeting: Antony (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Armed forces special powers a home ministry problem: IAF cheif - Nov 25, 2010
- Political leadership to decide on revoking AFSPA: Army chief - Sep 18, 2010
- Day before all-party Kashmir meet, AFSPA still a touchy topic - Sep 14, 2010
- Kashmir crisis: All-party meet to decide on AFSPA (Night Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Revoking AFSPA will aid Kashmir terror groups: Army chief - Jan 01, 2012
- Omar meets Antony on AFSPA ahead of state cabinet meet - Nov 13, 2011
- Forces need legal protection, air chief says on AFSPA - Oct 04, 2010
- 12 more paramilitary bunkers removed from Srinagar - Mar 17, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to preside over all party meeting on Kashmir today - Sep 15, 2010
- Kashmir cabinet meet on AFSPA postponed? - Nov 16, 2011
- No decision on AFSPA yet, indicates PM - Nov 12, 2011
- Armed forces act to go from some Kashmir areas: Omar - Oct 21, 2011
- Can Kashmir afford Omar-army confrontation? (Kashmir Newsletter) - Nov 13, 2011
Tags: afspa, air chief marshal, air force chief, antony, army officers, chief minister, correct decision, defence minister, final decision, indian air force, jammu and kashmir, judicial review, kashmir, legal immunity, legal proceeding, naik, political dilemma, quran, revocation, sidelines