Soldier shoots self at Sarkozy farewell in IsraelJune 24th, 2008 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, June 24 (DPA) A farewell ceremony at Israel’s Ben Gurion Airport for French President Nicolas Sarkozy descended into chaos Tuesday afternoon when a border policeman stationed 100 to 200 metres from the presidential aircraft discharged his weapon, killing himself. Reports from the scene said Sarkozy was not in danger, but he and his wife Carla were hustled quickly aboard their waiting aircraft by bodyguards, while President Shimon Peres and Prime Minister Ehud Olmert were rushed to their bullet-proof vehicles by security men.
Two women soldiers who witnessed the shooting fainted.
The exact circumstances of the border policeman’s death were unclear, with the police estimating he may have committed suicide.
Only after calm was restored were Peres and Olmert allowed to board Sarkozy’s aircraft to bid him farewell.
- Wife of Israeli President Peres dead at 87 - Jan 21, 2011
- Egypt Air strikes out Israel from route map - Mar 26, 2011
- Contaminated fuel in Israel causes rerouting of over 160 flights - May 11, 2011
- Former Israel PM convicted but escapes fraud charge - Jul 10, 2012
- Sarkozy arrives in Tel Aviv on three-day visit - Jun 23, 2008
- Israeli president feeling well after surgery for hernia - May 12, 2012
- India seeks to strengthen relations with Israel (With Image) - Apr 06, 2012
- Israeli President recovering in hospital after collapse - Sep 13, 2009
- World approaching 'military option' on Iran: Israel - Nov 05, 2011
- Krishna leaves for Israel, Palestine Sunday - Jan 06, 2012
- Did first humans emerge from Middle East, not Africa? - Dec 28, 2010
- Israeli warplanes slam Hamas government compound - Dec 30, 2008
- Ex-Israeli president convicted of rape - Dec 30, 2010
- A single click protects kids from pedophiles - Jul 08, 2012
- Now, a calmed Israel expresses admiration, sympathy for Egyptians - Feb 14, 2011