Soldier shoots colleagues before killing himselfDecember 12th, 2010 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Dec 12 (IANS) Three army soldiers died - two by shooting themselves - and at least three were injured in two separate incidents in Assam, an officer Sunday said.The first incident took place at the 2nd Mountain Division headquarters at Dinjan in eastern Assam in which two soldiers were killed and three injured, an army officer said.
“There was an altercation between two soldiers on duty following which one of them picked up his service weapon and killed his colleague,” the officer said.
The soldier then started firing indiscriminately at his other colleagues before shooting himself dead.
Three others were injured in the shootout, although no immediate details were available on their health status.
In another incident late Saturday, a solider of 8th Garhwal Rifles shot himself dead while on duty at Kakopathar, close to the Dinjan army base.
“An inquiry has since been ordered into both the incidents,” the officer said.
- ULFA militants killed in Assam - Aug 06, 2012
- BSF trooper shot dead by senior in Kashmir - Dec 30, 2011
- Two NDFB rebels gunned down in Assam - Mar 16, 2010
- Three CRPF troopers killed in Kashmir fratricidal shootout - Dec 25, 2011
- Militants gun down man in Assam - Aug 13, 2011
- Army unit standoff raised in parliament, PM bars debate (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Trooper in Kashmir goes berserk, kills four (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Assam toll rises to 14, army called in (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- 5 shot dead during Colombian carnival - Feb 01, 2011
- Trooper kills six colleagues in Manipur (Lead) - Jan 22, 2009
- Mexican army kills eight in shootout - Feb 19, 2011
- Three hurt in shooting at Afghan memorial service - Mar 13, 2012
- Arms seized in Assam, three arrested - Mar 27, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012