Soldier killed in firing from Pakistan, six militants sneak in (Lead)May 19th, 2008 - 4:30 pm ICT by admin
Jammu, May 19 (IANS) An Indian soldier was killed in firing from Pakistan across the Line of Control (LoC) in the Krishna Ghati sector of Jammu and Kashmir Monday morning, army sources said. The second incident of its kind within a week came on the eve of foreign secretary and foreign minister level India-Pakistan talks in Islamabad. The gun fire in Krishna Ghati of Poonch district, about 200 km north of Jammu, started around 7.15 a.m., killing Naik Jayasewar of the Gorkha Rifles in the initial burst. The LoC is the effective border between India and Pakistan across much of Jammu and Kashmir.
Officially, the Indian Army was neither confirming nor denying the incident.
There were unconfirmed reports that at least six militants infiltrated into India under the covering fire.
This was the second major incident of firing across LoC in less than a week. On May 13, Pakistani troops had fired on Indian positions from across the LoC in the Tangdhar sector of the Kashmir valley.
That was the first time in four and a half years that the Indian Army charged the Pakistani Army of violating the ceasefire.
On May 8, a group of militants had infiltrated into the Samba sector. Two days later two of them killed six people including two soldiers before getting killed in a day-long gun battle.
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at six Indian posts (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistani troops target Indian border posts - Jan 05, 2012
- Pak violates cease-fire in Poonch district, one soldier killed - Oct 25, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire at six Indian posts (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at Indian posts (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Two terrorists killed in Jammu and Kashmir - Nov 14, 2010
- BSF trooper injured in firing on LoC - May 02, 2010
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Indian, Pakistani troops battle on Kashmir border - Jun 19, 2012
- Pakistani troops fire at Indian posts - Oct 27, 2010
- All quiet at LoC, day after six-hour firing - May 24, 2010
- Indian Army lodges protest with Pakistan on ceasefire violations - Jul 18, 2010