Solar power to light up Dubai parksSeptember 29th, 2011 - 9:39 am ICT by IANS
Dubai, Sep 29 (IANS) All parks in Dubai will soon use solar-powered lights in a bid to reduce consumption of electricity and use more natural resources, a top official has said.
“All lights in our parks will be solar. We have already started implementing it and gradually will cover all the parks. This is one of our many initiatives towards sustainable development,” Hussain Nasser Lootah, director general of Dubai Municipality told Gulf News.
Lootah said cities of the 21st century must evolve into centres of progress that serve as forces for national and global advancement.
The municipality finished work on a park in Al Sofouh area which uses solar lighting systems. Built on an area of 1.55 hectares, the park was the first to use this technology in Dubai.
“Dubai is one of the most beautiful cities and has seen a lot of development in the past. This has given a good quality of life but there have been side effects of this development like rise in per capita garbage production, high petrol consumption and high electricity,” he said.
“We need to ensure a sustainable development and adopt more environment-friendly ways like recycling sewage water and using it for irrigation,” he said.
The municipality is also working to convert all its official cars from petrol to gas.
“We have already converted five cars. All our 1,000 cars will run on compressed natural gas (CNG),” Lootah said.
- Rashtrapati Bhavan inspires Agartala to be energy efficient - Sep 24, 2010
- Dubai to donate used laptops for charity - Nov 02, 2011
- Poo-powered car Bio-Bug hits the roads - Aug 08, 2010
- Agartala to go green with CNG for vehicles, PNG for houses - Sep 14, 2011
- Indian, Israeli experts tap sun for hybrid power plants - Feb 14, 2012
- Dubai launches first road lit by solar energy - Jan 17, 2012
- Dubai to get 'green lab' running on solar power - Aug 23, 2012
- CNG price raised by Rs.2.30 in national capital region - Sep 30, 2011
- Petrol to be cheaper, CNG costlier in Delhi (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 28, 2012
- UAE opens 'green' service station - Jan 07, 2011
- Pakistan is largest CNG user in the world - Jun 03, 2011
- Agartala to be Northeast India's first solar city - Sep 12, 2012
- Solar-powered New York rock band performs in Srinagar - Nov 12, 2011
- Dubai launches Children's Council of the City - May 24, 2010
- Two-in-one device cleans up sewage, produces fuel - Mar 30, 2012
Tags: beautiful cities, compressed natural gas, consumption of electricity, director general, garbage production, global advancement, gulf news, irrigation, lootah, municipality, nasser, natural resources, petrol consumption, quality of life, recycling, sewage water, solar lighting systems, solar power, solar powered lights, sustainable development