‘Social networking, Team Anna raised Goa poll percentage’April 9th, 2012 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 9 (IANS) Social networking sites and Team Anna were the key factors in upping Goa’s voting figures from 63 percent to a stunning 82.8 percent in last month’s assembly elections, Goan pop star Remo Fernandes said Monday.
“The voter turnout in the 18-25 years age segment jumped from 63 percent to 82 percent in these elections. And we all know that it is the youth who are into Facebook and YouTube! YOU DID IT!!! WE DID IT!!! Love Goa, Love India!,” Remo has said in his latest Facebook update Monday.
Remo, who began his career as a singer and musician by taking up burning civic issues back in the 1980s and crafting songs and chants for popular agitations, also said that the campaigning done by members of Team Anna in Goa, also resulted in the unprecedented spurt in voting percentage.
“I thank everyone who helped. Team Anna with Arvind Kejriwal and Kiran Bedi for inviting me to speak and sing at their IAC meetings all around Goa before the elections and all of YOU, GOAN YOUTH!” said Remo, also a Padmashri awardee.
Remo, 58, will be felicitated Tuesday by the Election Commission of India (ECI) for his role as an “Election Icon” for the March polls here.
As a election icon, Remo, during the election run up had not only crafted a music album which urged youngsters to vote, but had also campaigned across Goa with members of Team Anna who were also touring the state.
- Remo to play pied piper to young Goan voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Poll spotlight on corruption: Remo - Feb 01, 2012
- Remo pens song for Hazare campaign - Aug 27, 2011
- Goa's political fate to be unveiled Tuesday - Mar 05, 2012
- Counting begins in Goa - Mar 06, 2012
- Will not campaign against any party: Team Anna - Jan 20, 2012
- Team Anna to highlight corruption in assembly polls - Jan 16, 2012
- Goa skips siesta to vote, turnout over 80 percent (Night Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Punjab's turn as Team Anna campaigns in poll states - Jan 24, 2012
- PM, Sonia fail to garner votes for Goa Congress - Mar 07, 2012
- Anti-graft activists in Goa demand tabling of Lokayukta bill - Sep 07, 2011
- Twitter, Facebook get active on Team Anna's political ambitions - Aug 02, 2012
- Allahabad eatery introduces 'Anna aahar' - Aug 21, 2011
- Ranch shops shut till noon in support of Anna - Aug 19, 2011
- Team Anna conducts referendum on Jan Lokpal bill - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: 1980s, arvind kejriwal, assembly elections, awardee, campaigning, chants, civic issues, election commission of india, election commission of india eci, facebook, goa, kiran bedi, music album, networking team, pop star, remo fernandes, social networking sites, spurt, voter turnout, youngsters